Monday, August 08, 2005

Okay, let me finish talking about the reunion for now, and we'll come back to the wedding afterward. If I leave it any longer, I won't write any more about it at all.

Anyway, Sunday was the games day and generally unstructured fun day. In previous years, this involved a big picnic at Kelso Conservation area, and I have to say, I do miss that location for the activities because there was just so much land on which to roam about. Well, we had to find room to have our water balloon pkill (player killing) competition and gladatorial combat (the road and hill beside the campsites). Before this could happen, the water bombs had to be filled.

This job was taken up most generously by Gareth and myself, with some intermittent help from Jen and Ken. Oh, a poem. Heh. I had no idea Ken was so good with a nozzle. ;) At any rate, Gareth and I were a stoic pair, bravely contending with poor taps and it took over an hour to fill them all, maybe even close to two hours. While this was going, Rick was playing poker. I ended up stripped down to my bra because of the brutal heat and Rick came out of the woodwork long enough to slather me with some sunblock. I had a rather nice, peaceful time talking with Gareth during this time and we hit it off rather well.

There was also a violent water fight between several of us, resulting in grass stains, bruises, clothing drying over cars and in bushes, and crushed and/or revenged egos. My knee is still bruised from when my fight got out of hand and Gareth still feels guilty for tripping me. As he should. The slave auction was also on the Sunday, and didn't raise that much money, unfortunately because there was a lack of drunken purchasing. I played cards, ate, drank and was merry. Did I mention I drank? Well, Sunday was my night for liberal imbibing and Monday was my day for being hung over. Which was okay, because it was fun and I had no responsibilities. Yay !

--------------------

And, also, from Meriam-Webster's August 7th Word of the Day:
gruntle \GRUN-tul\ verb

: to put in a good humor


Example sentence:
"He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled." (P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters)

Did you know?
"Gruntle" is the result of a mistaken assumption about the verb "disgruntle," which means "to make ill-humored or discontented." The prefix "dis-" often means "to do the opposite of," so people naturally assumed that in order to have a "disgruntle" there must be a "gruntle" with exactly the opposite meaning. But actually, "dis-" doesn't always work that way — in some rare cases it functions instead as an intensifier. "Disgruntle" developed from this intensifying sense of "dis-" plus "gruntle," an old word meaning "to grumble." "Gruntle" began to mean "to make happy" only in the 1920s, when it was assumed to be the antonym of "disgruntle." By contrast, "disgruntle" has been around since 1682, and the original grumbling "gruntle" dates back to 1589.