Saturday, April 30, 2005

Well, that was a blast from the past... Today, an old teacher of mine from Northern Secondary came in with a tour. It seems that in his retirement, he decided to run a tour company... for students. Because he didn't get enough of us as a teacher. He came up to the counter and said, "Hi ! Do you remember me?" I looked at him and thought, is this a crazy man?, but out loud I said, "No, should I?" So it was Mr. Chapman. Let me express how weird it was for him to be excited to see me, considering how he always had a horrid dislike of me when I was his student. It was mutual, of course. He used to go out of his way to say hello to my friends, in my presence, and pointedly ignore me. Despite whether I worked hard, did research for my papers, paid attention, or not, I -always- got 72%. Without exception. (This would be the same teacher for whom a male stripper was hired back in my babysitter's time at Northern, for which she was suspended.) And he was so excited to see me; he HUGGED me.

I feel kinda dirty.

In other news, I'm finally going to see Sin City tonight with Rick. Hooray ! We wanted to see it right when it first came out, but we waited because of various reasons, including a friend joining us (who ended up sick), school, and other such things. Of course, Hitchhikers' Guide opened this weekend, but I'm still on the fence about it. It was such a wonderful book that I'm almost certain the movie will be a pale immitation.

Passover is almost over, which is very good, since being in the city with someone who isn't Jewish, and with 99% of restaurants not catering to a kosher crowd, or not caring one way or the other, it can be a real challenge finding something that I can eat. For instance, today, I was so grateful to the Jewish-owned crepes place, because not only are crepes non-leavened, but they're keeping kosher over the high holiday. It's all over tomorrow, though, until next year (in Jerusalem).