Saturday, May 07, 2005

What a nice day. It's so relieving to be able to go outside on one's break and do nothing by sit in the sun and read. It's not hot, it's not cold, it's just right (for me). The trees are coming into bloom, the bushes are coming into leaf, the air is sweet... gosh, it's just so darn pleasant out. I think I'll take a walk after work in order to appreciate it even more. I hope that Rick is going outside to enjoy some fresh air (fresh being a relative term when you live downtown), if he's up to it.

Yesterday he had a very impacted (and infected) wisdom tooth removed after a number months complaining about the pain. I cooked him a dinner of bacon (done soft, not crispy) and cheesy scrambled eggs because he cannot chew hard food right now. He had a mouth full of cotton and a body full of Tylenol with codeine. The good news was the mouth full of cotton prevented him from grinding his teeth last night, which was AWESOME. Not sure what I'll feed him tonight, maybe something pasta-like.

I, on the other hand, have had a couple of really nice days, mostly free from the grief of losing Willi. Part of the reason, I think, is because I'm in Toronto, staying with Rick, which is a place where I have no associations with her, but maybe also because on Wednesday I dreamed about her. I always feel better once the person/animal I've lost visits me. I don't recall the details now, but it was a very simple dream. She came into my room, brought me her washing socks, dropped them, rubbed me, yelled at me, picked up the rolled-up socks again, and left. (Of course, now I'm tearing up, just writing about it, but I'm not crying, and there's an important difference.) I miss her terribly, but I am starting to adapt to life without her, much as I don't want to, but it is harder in Peterborough, where I was used to having her around.

The other bit of news is that I got an email from the manager of education/interpretation at the Manitoba Museum. It sounds like there is a lot of opportunity to do interesting things there, and she listed one of the projects they're going to be handling, which involves the redesigning the school programming, which sounds potentially neat, depending on what kind of redesign she's talking about. I'll find out more about what's up in other departments, too, so we shall see. I'm really starting to look forward to going there, oh my goodness ! As well, I ended my semester with an 85% average, which is a -little- lower than what I'd hoped for, but far from disappointing, considering all the irritating things that happened.

And, finally, I started soloing the school group tours yesterday. It was a little nerve wracking, but from what the lead hand said, it doesn't sound like I showed any anxiety at all. In fact, it sounds like I could have told the kids anything and they would have believed it, I apparently have that authoritative tone. It was a great mix to have in for a first day, too, with grades four, nine/ten, one, and some speds of differing ages. The grade one class were a bunch of little hellians, but I worked my disciplanary magic and they snapped to attention - also something witnessed by the lead and she was impressed. Hurray.