Thursday, September 04, 2003

UPDATE on my Primerica adventures:

So, what I didn't really write about were the doubts that were beginning to blossom at the back of my mind. I said I was weirded out and that it seemed easy. Too easy. I spoke to my mother at great length discussing my doubts with her. She shares them and then added to them. I started to hear the alarm bells ringing much clearer in my head. The representative that I have dealt with IS nice and IS charming, there's no question, and I DO like him, but you know, the whole time I was listening to the information session last night and hearing him talk about how simple it would be to make money while helping all these people... I cannot imagine how I could have missed this, frankly. It was a pitch. Plain and simple. I'm just desperate enough in my financial situation and just hungry enough for a new job that I fell for it. I got pitched. ME. I have never fallen prey to a pitch in my entire life.

Until today. ::insert hideous cackle here::

I got off the phone with Mom and called up Rick. I explained my doubts to him and what I'd discussed with Mom and he, being the good Computer Geek that he is, immediately starts running Primerica through search engines to see what he can come up with. What he read to me over the phone sounded really fishy. I mean REALLY fishy. An image came to mind that I couldn't quite shake. Rick sent me some links, which I will provide, and after reading through a couple of them in their entirety, the image clarrified. Granted, there IS a product and it is a good one, but they make their mission sound a whole lot more noble than it is. That said, some of the questions that Mom and I came up with have been sufficiently answered by what I have now read and I can safely say that this is not something I want a part of.

Tomorrow, I'm making the trek up to Steeles and Keele one more time. I'm supposed to be working out a training schedule with my rep/mentor/trainer (and I do stand by the fact that he's not a bad guy). I'm going into the office armed with my latest questions and I'm going to listen to his answers, which I have no doubt will be vague and/or sugar-side-up. Then, I'm going to offer him my revised answer and appologise for getting his hopes up and wasting our time. Time he could have spent recruiting someone else. I might have been swayed by the pitch, but I'm not stupid. Something else will come up, something worth my time and better, in the long run, and without any outlay of money. Ya. That's right.

For further reading, try this and this.