Friday, August 08, 2003

Well, I just had an adventure. First, let me set the stage. I was working on, well, work, and I went to check my email and once again the Internet had collapsed. At least according to Primus. So, what's a freelancer to do? I decided to go out on the porch to work on the mini-campaign I'm doing tonight at A&C's. It is only a mini because I don't have a lot of time to think about the next installment in the one we played ages ago, so instead, this is to be a "how we all met" game taking place in the past. Of course, this time Tanya's joining in, but otherwise it's everyone's characters already in existence.

Now, when I go on the porch, Willi can come out too. Mostly she eats the grass or the herbs, sits on my knee and generally stays out of trouble. Today, however; she thought it was a good idea to leap up on the wall. Rather than come down when I called her and attempted to retrieve her, she leapt without thinking onto the neighbours' roof. Oh, brava, cat, truly. So now she's on the roof and suddenly it's not as exciting as she thought, or more to the point, exciting in all the wrong ways. There are construction vehicles roaring and suped up civics exploding down the street with stereos blaring. This ain't the cottage.

Her investigations proved that there was no way down and the open window that she sat in had a screen that kept her outside. Now she looks at me and yells. "Oh, you want to come in now?" I say. This after I've been down on the lawn, on the neighbours' lawn, on the lower porch trying to coax her down (she can make it, I know, but it's tricky and she's getting scared at this point). So, back on the upstairs porch, Stew now awake and aware of my cat's plight, comes to help. She's pacing up and down the side of the neighbouring roof yelling at me as Stew and I look for something we can stretch across the gap. Finally, as I've wrestled the recliner over the side and have it straddling the gap between the eaves, a dump truck growls loudly in the street and Willi hits panic mode.

Back and forth she paces, ears back and yelling at me, with a look on her face like, "Stupid humans, get the fuck out of the way !" she hurls herself across the gap, well over the recliner and hits the wall with only a bit of scrabbling and balance catching. Immediately, Stew scooped her up and took her in. I now wrestled the recliner back over the ledge and fold it up before following. Willi was so frightened that she growled and yelled even while we gave her a cat treat for coming back into the house.

Maybe this will put a stop to her clawing the screen door and yelling to get outside. There's nothing quite like a wicked fright to make a person or cat hesitant about doing something again. Anyway, she's not allowed on the porch anymore, with or without supervision.