Sunday, August 10, 2003

D&D went off pretty well last night. I planned little in the way of encounters trusting that the players would get themselves involved nicely, which they did. I did not expect Carrie's character, Kitten, to -start- the brawl by kicking the Zhent, but she did and I think I'm going to have to give some extra points for that. Tanya added excellent insanity by playing a ranger with very low scores in animal empathy and handle animal. So, when she managed to quiet a stampeding cow, rope it, mount it and manage to ride it back toward the battle, we were all VERY impressed. Too bad Kitten thought it would be a good idea to hitch a ride on the cow too ultimately causing Krishena (the ranger) to take a header. Klarn, Al's dwarf managed to miss a lot until I finally gave up and rolled him a critical. My dice were rolling nicely. Rick's ranger, Gasbar (nice name, eh?), nearly killed a Zhent with a pair of chair legs and then went on to fell three orcs in battle. Wacky. I've promised a picture of the cow-wrangling ranger, too.

Today was a nice day but very humid. I'm not a fan of humidity, it makes me kind of nauseous and lethargic. I spent the first part of my day at the ROM in the lovely air-conditioning, however; so as I became Super Map Girl (and in the case of a family from Quebec La Fille Formidable des Cartes (ever notice it always takes longer in French?)) I was at least comfortable while I helped. It was a big day for customer service as still many people aren't coming for a visit. I enjoy taking the time to talk to people about things not necessarily related to the museum, it gives them a pleasant feeling and thwarts my boredom.

After work I went home to change and, as it turned out, take a nap before heading over to Rick's for A Taste of the Danforth. The humidity was making me feel terribly wonky and I just had to pass out for a while. I had one of those epic dreams that, among other things, involved me telling a mother off for letting her children go horse-back-riding without helmets ("Not only is it irresponsible of you as a parent, but it's illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to ride without a helmet !"). It's nice to know I have a strong conscience even in my dream world. Following that, I then dreamt about a girl I used to go to school with - we're talking junior high and at least some of highschool - Teya Greenberg. In the dream she was giving an interview about fashion, which seemed weird since she was always pretty athletic and down-to-earth. But it was nice, because I always liked her and she recognised me in my dream and waved me over with a smile.

A Taste of the Danforth was ridiculously busy. Out of control busy. I did enjoy eating bbq'd corn and Rick and I enjoyed some octopus and dip in a restaurant in order to escape the crowd. There were some trampolinists doing a demo and lots of Canadian olympians promoting the team for Athens in 2004 as well as signing autographs. We watched a bit of traditional Greek dancing, too, and I couldn't help but notice how very similar it was to the Turkish (Kurdish) dancing I saw at the Artists Against War rally/concert back in the spring. Interesting stuff. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours. We walked back from the Danforth to his house which is a nice down-hill walk and I insisted we take the less-frequented streets for scenery and whatnot. We picked up some Drumstick icecream cones and enjoyed them back at his place. It was a nice evening, I must say.