Tuesday, March 18, 2003

First of all, I think you all should read this. It puts a lot of things in perspective. Thanks to Mom for sending me the link.

I'm not sure where to start, so much has been going on this past week. Of course, the BIG event was the much anticipated wedding of Al and Carrie, which happened on Saturday, the Ides of March. That date also marks my mother's birthday, so it was a very exciting day. I guess that's as good a place to start as any. I'll say this, though, I had no idea just how exhausting being in a wedding party can be. Even when the couple is as completely unstressed as A&C were, it's just plain tiring. It took two days for me to recover. Whew, I cannot stress the importance of naps.

Friday saw the beginnings of the preparations, or perhaps the end of the preparations, the final bits being done and my stomach beginning to flutter. Rick came out Friday afternoon, and after buying make-up and lingerie with Carrie (that was an adventure), we picked him up from the Greyhound station. His bus came in late so we were all late to arrive at the hall where we were to help with the decorations. From there we went to the church for the rehersal. Father Paul later told me that we'd been one of his most enjoyable wedding rehersals because we were so hilarious. It's true, I freely admit it. We're damn funny. Following that was dinner at Al's parents' place, and then the boys went to the strippers. They tried in vain to pursuade us to come along as bringing chicks earns free pitchers of beer. Uh huh. The girls didn't really do anything, we went to Jenn's to pick up the flowers for our hair and whatnot, and then came back to my house to deliver dresses. We kind of hung out for an hour or so, chatting with Mom. There were some mix-ups with the dresses, Tanya having been given Sherrie's overdress and other silliness, but we sorted it out.

Saturday began early with an appointment at the hairdresser's. The wait was long, so I ran home to get nail polish. My hair was pretty easy. It got rolled up into a bun-thing that looked like a small, round braided challah bread. It was trimmed with ivy and orchid blossoms. It was very feminine. Carrie's hair was a big fall of curls that looked lovely, and Tanya's was half up and half down and full of orchids. Sherrie's hair took MUCH longer than anyone else's to do because it had little braids and things. It looked beautiful, though, so I can't really complain. We flew back to Mom's where we ordered pizza and did our make-up. Mom did it for the Brumwell girls (Carrie, Sherrie, and their mother, Ruth) and I did mine and Tanya's. The photographer came and did some headshots in the living room and Rick went off for lunch with Sherrie's boyfriend and her father. It came down to the wire, but we got it together, piling into the limo in our gorgeous gowns. It must have appeared quite impressive for the neighbours, though. And my mother enjoyed doing the make-up and the commotion, which made for a very unique and exciting birthday.

We all arrived at the church (on time, I'll have you know), followed closely by Ruth, the photographer, and finally my mother (in the nick of time). Richie and Bill were still ushering the final arrivals, and then they had to go join Al and Ryan who were waiting in an anteroom. Apparently, Ryan was very nervous, moreso than Al, but Al said he was suddenly hit with nerves about 15 minutes before the wedding began. Carrie looked radiant and we were all very excited. I had to walk down the aisle first, and the whole time I was thinking, "Walk slower, Maya, slower... step, pause, step, pause..." I did manage a smile at Mom, though, but for the rest, I didn't even see the rest of the congregation. The ceremony was amazing. Tanya set me to crying, and when I saw Al start to cry, I started all over again. The priest, Father Paul, gave a most amazing and inspiring homalie (sp?) and the service went smoothly and was full of joy and happiness. Carrie was rendered incapable of speach at one point, either by nerves, or excitment, or just being blonde, but otherwise it was perfect. The priest, by the way, portrayed Andre, one of the theatre owners, in Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages in Toronto for a number of years. In fact, I saw him twice in it.

I'll skip the boring details of the milling around at the church and immaturity of the limo ride, and gloss over the drawn out process of photographs at the hall. By this time, my bouquet was getting pretty darn heavy. The reception was great - the food was good, though the roast beef was dry - and the dancing went on and on. The crazy DJ played a song mix made up almost entirely from requests and all of mine were played. I enjoyed the snowball dances, something I'd never before experienced. As one partner said as I mentioned this, "Oh, you must not have grown up in Peterborough." If you don't know, a snowball dance begins with the wedding party, or whomever, and they go and get a partner when 'snowball' is called, then people keep getting new partners until almost everyone is up dancing - a snowball effect. Tanya and I went quite crazy for that obnoxious tune, Cotton-Eyed Joe, including me teaching her the only linedance I know. By the end of it all, Rick was quite drunk, I was very sweaty, and everyone was covered in glitter.

All in all, Al and Carrie's was one of the best weddings that I've ever attended, and I'm not just saying that because I was a bridesmaid. No, it was a really good time. I wish them happiness and health until death do them part. Special thanks go to Rick for getting out of the way when the women overran the house, and for the help he gave Mom and I, and of course, uber-thanks to Mom, who made Saturday run as smoothly as a greased weasel in a tube. Mom, you're awesome !

One final thing to add: Today is me and Rick's three-year anniversary ! I'm wearing the garnet, marcosite and silver earrings he gave me. *smooches*