Saturday, March 02, 2002

Well, today there were many hostile drivers. I was crossing a street at one point, not even, as I'd just stepped out of my car (who survived Mark quite nicely) and had not started to walk at all, when this big, loud, white van blared his horn at me. As if I hadn't seen him, or even before, heard him and his unsound muffler, but he didn't even slow down. For the love of all things, he must have been barreling down the street at 60km/h. Does the term 'residential' not mean anything to people? "Was that a kid we just hit back there?" "I dunno, we're going to fast to tell."

I dropped in on Justin at the Blockfuckster to see if he still worked there, and yes, he does. It seems he has been doing work in Montreal, too, with his old boss, which is why he hasn't called me back. I invited him out Monday night, but he's going back to Montreal that day for another two weeks or so. Anyway, I also ran into Megan walking home from the store she works in and drove her home. We crammed as much information as was possible into a ten minute conversation, but we'll see each other over March Break when she's got some time off. It was very nice to walk around in the 'old neighbourhood' today, though, I must say I will have a good time exploring the new area. The weather was just dandy, making for beautiful strolling, and I couldn't help feeling a bit nostalgic about everything.

Last night I was at Derek's house and we ordered Thai food from the Internet. Imagine that ! We're living in the future ! Keen. Anyway, we played some silly video games, including one where you play with controlers that are in the form of electric guitars... quite strange. We watched the final episode of "Read or Die" a very good three part anime, and the stand-alone "Blood: the Last Vampire" which was made by the same people who gave the world Ghost in the Shell. Derek was fairly impressed when I suddenly blurted out, "Ghost in the Shell !" because I'd suddenly been struck by the amazing similarities in style. The stand out of the night, however; was the Japanese film we watched called, Battle Royale. Oh my God.

This was perhaps the most ULTRA VIOLENT film I have EVER seen. Honestly. It's brutal. It's emotionally horrifying, driving the audience to highs and lows that scream manipulation. I found myself laughing and smiling one moment, then open-mouth-shocked, then whispering, "Holy shit, oh my God," and then with tears running down my cheeks. I cried through probably a third of the entire movie, partially from the shock of it, partially from the touching displays of humanity, sometimes because of the beautiful symbolism, and sometimes because of the cruelty of the situation. The part of it that made it the most awful was the fact that the people forced into killing each other were kids - fourteen year olds. It was so good, though horrible and terrifying, that I sort of want to make all my friends, whom I think can stomach it, watch it with me; only I don't want to see it too often, so I have to get everyone together in one go.

I had nightmares last night. I actually cried out in my sleep waking myself up. The last time a movie caused that to happen, I was probably about 12 years old. It was so intense, yet, so amazing. The horror of the violence, the controversy and disturbing humour was akin to what I felt the first time I watched A Clockwork Orange. Only worse. Amazing.