Friday, February 22, 2002

Work was sucking until about 2 o'clock when the Controler, the Evil One, the jerk, whatever you want to call him, skipped off work to watch the hockey game. Before that, he'd certainly been throwing his weight around with Sara and myself. God, he grates on my nerves and I just want to toss him out of a window. Not that I could, he's a sturdy fellow.

Anyway, this means I've had some time to surf as I stick addresses on envelopes. So, I looked up my mother's last name, Hogenkamp. I have discovered a few fascinating things: Previously, it was always stated that the double O versus the single O in Hogenkamp had to do with a family rift. It may well have more to do with a non-standardised spelling. I came across the same name spelled as Hogen Kamp and then Hoogenkamp, so, who knows? Also, there are Hogenkamps in *gasp* Germany, as well as Denmark. Also, they were part of the early settlers to New York in the 1600s. Maybe that's why she was so drawn there. Also, there's a restaurant bearing her name, that looks like it might be tasty. Another thing I've seen, in flipping through Hogenkamp personal pages, a good many of them have... prominent noses. There's also a big time appaloosa breeder named Hogenkamp - just happens to be one of my mother's favourite horse breeds.

Good stuff. Update - somepoint in the 3rd period - Canada is beating Belarouse (sp?) 7-1. So, we'll be playing either Russia or the USA for gold.