Saturday, July 28, 2007

B:5 The HOSH

I cannot believe I am up at this hour on a Saturday. It must be for a good cause – oh ya, it’s because I’m raising money for the Humane Society of Canada by participating in Blogathon 2007.

Go me !

Alright, so let me tell you about the films I watched at Andrew’s last night. I should take a moment to explain who Andrew is, maybe. Andrew Hoshkiw is a freelance reporter and really excellent documentary photographer up here in Whitehorse. He, like me, is from Southern Ontario, but unlike me, he came up here for kicks and stayed. He’s lived in the Northwest Territories and Prince Rupert, BC and he’s been working for newspapers along the way.

Andrew was pointed out to me as the “really quiet reporter – it’s weird, he doesn’t talk”. This was at the first Exhibit Opening I was around for when I first arrived in Whitehorse. The people who pointed him out to me are judgemental and I didn’t like the way they wrote Andrew off for being weirdly quiet. I decided I’d go up to him and introduce myself.

So I did.

What I found was that Andrew was a very nice, if shy, guy. I figured he liked reporting because it gave him a shield or rationale for talking to people, which he might not otherwise do. He and I became friends and that’s that. He tells great stories. I don’t regret introducing myself for a minute.

Except when he threatens to change to another movie right in the middle of the one we’re watching. It makes me want to throttle him.

Okay, I’ll talk about the movies in another post. This ended up being about Andrew. Oh, and his website is: www.hoshq.com.