Sunday, October 23, 2005

The "Social". It is a Manitoba tradition. It is not like any other community or social gathering I've attended. It is culturally restricted to Manitoba and draws its lineage from the Ukranian settlers. They're hosted in community centres. Tonight I attended a Wedding Social for one of my colleagues at the Museum. I had assumed it would be like a jack and jill or stag and doe, and on the surface, I suppose it was. Tickets were sold, and there were prize items that guests bought tickets for. It raises money for a cause, which in this case was the couple's wedding. Now, here's where it gets a little bizarre. There is a "lunch" which is a spread of cold cuts and cheese, sliced sausage and pickles, and lots and lots of bread (rye?). All socials offer the same fare, though I understand the quality differs substantially. Everyone dances to lousy music and drinks incredibly cheap alcohol, eats these cold cuts, and bids on prizes. It is illegal to host a social and NOT have this spread of food. Seriously. Let me tell you, though, all the balloons in the world can't turn a shabby community centre into anything other than what it is.

But did I have fun? Well, yes. There was a large group from the museum, most of those I like, anyway, and the prizes were alright, though I didn't win the XBox. Not a surprise there. I don't win things. Well, not anything I'd actually -like- to have. I did a bit of dancing, ate some of these rather strange cuts of meat, drank the cheap booze and basically had a good time. And, honestly, you haven't lived until you've seen couples dancing the Polka to... Boney M's Rasputin. No. Really. We got it on film.

Prior to this odd cultural event, I went out with my co-worker, Caterina, a seriously under utilised staffer of the museum who is way too bright to be the glorified administration assistant that she is. She and I went to Carlos & Murphy's, the Irish Tex Mex restaurant bar. Heh, it's pretty tasty, even if it isn't Sneaky Dee's. I'll get over it. I guess I -have- gotten over it, even. We drank and feasted on nachos and wings and it was good. Then it was off to a Drag King show at the Burton Cummings Theatre (formerly, and fondly recalled as, the Walker Theatre), which is a beautiful, old theatre with two balconies and stunning decoration. Sadly, the drag show was a big disappointment, the whole thing coming off like a bad Anime convention cosplay event. Some of the kings were actually =really= good. But they did lousy performances. The highlight should not be the emcees. Anyway, from there we went to the social.

I've got the house to myself this weekend, too, which is kind of neat. Rosetta's at her son's cottage with his family. This means I'll probably park myself upstairs in front of the television tomorrow afternoon and watch movies. Sure, it means she won't be cooking for me, but that's okay, I'll survive. Anyway, I'm a little intoxicated still so rather than get rambly, I'll just stop here.

But seriously, dancing the polka to Boney M. Wow.