Saturday, February 26, 2005

The Canadian Military is mocked by many for its amazing lack of, well, equipment, for one. It isn't the military's fault, but it can be somewhat embarrassing. That said, there is nothing - NOTHING - less likely to inspire awe than a soldier in full cammo carrying an enviro-hemp totebag. You know the kind, the "green" bags that were popular ten years ago that are now only carried by those who shop at health food stores.

Okay, had he been wearing fuzzy bunny slippers, that would have been less inspiring, but still, whatever effect the uniform had on anyone was completely tempered by the silliness of his overstuffed totebag.

Where did I see this fine specimen? At the Canadian Government building up near Yonge and Sheppard. There were plenty of army types walking about, as well as customs officials (there's a passport office there), and none of them really impressed me. And I like uniforms. Anyway, I was there with my mother who was dropping off her passport papers to have ready before she flies to New York. As far as I know, you don't require an up-to-date passport to cross into the USA from Canada, but it can't help to have one. I, personally, am thinking of applying for a US passport, too, for ease of travel.

Speaking of travel, I've been sending out inquiring emails to all sorts of museums here and there. Mostly, I've had either no response, or lame response. My plan was simple, get an internship in New York City. How's that working out? Well, that's the thing, it isn't working out very well at all. One museum in NY has responded, and in all honesty, the form response wasn't a good start and not having my question answered helped even less. So, I've pretty much crossed that institution off my list.

The museum that has been most excited by the prospect of my interning with it, is... in Winnipeg. I have nothing wrong with The 'Peg, as it's sometimes called. In fact, I've never even been there so I have no point of comparison. What I do know about Winnipeg is that it is a pretty funky city and has a strong arts community. It isn't very big, and its other nickname is "Winterpeg", but they have a well-known museum there, the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature, and that museum's education/interpretation department seems to want me.

For the next little while, I'll use polite stalling tactics while I wait and cross my fingers for the Brooklyn Museum or MOMA to return my email, but I may have to get used to the idea of finding a place to live in Winnipeg. It's quite a bit farther away than New York, but it could be a lot of fun. We shall see.
In other news, utterly unrelated to school, passports, or the Military, Rick and I went to Canoe last night. This is a very high rated restaurant and one we would not normally visit (considering the price of food, etc.), but Rick had won some gift certificates through his work and we decided to use them. So, it was the most expensive dinner I've ever had (I think) and completely worth it. Every penny of it !

So, what did we eat? This:
  • Lobster and cuttlefish salad (me)
  • Oysters (Rick)
  • Seared bluefin Tuna (me)
  • Rack of lamb (Rick)
  • Side of King mushrooms (shared)
  • Sticky Toffee something or other (me)
  • The most incredible butter tart (Rick)
  • Capuccino (me)
  • Coffee (Rick)
  • Two glasses of white, each - Reisling for Rick, Chardonay for me
  • Late harvest wine (one glass each)

Final bill, with tip? $310. Half of that was paid with gift certificates and the other half we're calling an early anniversary dinner in celebration of five years together. You know what one of the most pleasant parts of the meal was? It was wonderful to be treated as though every single thing we said, ordered, or ate, was a pleasure for the staff. Our waiter really gave us the feeling that he was delighted to serve us and that we were the most special of guests.

And the food was mind-bogglingly good.

I am a lucky woman.