Saturday, December 18, 2004

This was supposed to be a happy fun post about all the things I did this week and how happy I am to be out of school for three weeks, but instead, I need to write about a dear friend of mine.

Scott (Tox) Wiggins died yesterday morning of an apparent heart attack. He was 30. I met him on-line, but came to know him personally when he visited Toronto and I visited him in Virginia. I introduced him to his wife and attended their wedding in 2001. They have a child, Jeffrey, who is three years old and has Scott's eyes. I haven't seen Scott in two years, or more, because that's just how things work, and now I won't see him again.

My Christmas card arrived in the mail to them just a few days ago and I just spoke to Scott recently. Things had finally settled down for him and his family. He'd had a hard time getting work after their decision to settle in Mississippi, and they moved to Tennessee not long ago and found life there much better. He'd gotten a job that he enjoyed and was living a loving life with his wife and son. It was a house full of love and happiness.

This is not how things should be, but as Megan, his widow (and also my good friend), said, "He's finally getting to meet my father... now I have two angels looking out for me." I can only imagine how she must feel. The heart ache must be profound. She has her mother looking after her, thankfully, and there will be a memorial held at Scott's mother's house in Virginia where she will be surrounded by loved ones.

I spoke to her last night. She says that she's numb. I know what that feels like. That I understand. I told her Rick and I would try to attend the memorial service on Wednesday, but I recognise that it's not very likely. The costs are prohibitive and in the end, I can give her support and love just as easily from here. It is a difficult decision, but there really isn't any other way that I can forsee.

Scott was a dear person, the kindest, gentlest, warmest person. I know I will miss him keenly and I won't be alone in that. He touched many people and positively affected their lives. Life isn't fair, but there isn't anything we can do. I thank God that he passed in his sleep, next to his adoring wife. The last words he heard spoken by her, "I love you, baby."

Scott, I love you, too.