Thursday, December 30, 2004

Having just enjoyed a blueberry bran muffin and the remaining half of my (now cold) coffee, I feel extremely lucky that I can indulge in such simple pleasures. A coffee. A muffin. A lunch break during my day at work. A routine.

The tsunami's effects have been devestating, with an estimate of deaths well over 100,000 people. One Hundred Thousand. That is more people than live in Peterborough and Lindsay combined. One Hundred Thousand. It is so many, in fact, that I cannot even begin to wrap my head around it. It is utterly incomparable. Even my own fascination with catastrophic weather and geological events cannot persuade me that this is anything but horrific. Awesome, but horrific.

In my group of friends, over at Live Journal, they're all busy putting banners on their websites for donations to the relief of the countries hit by the event. They're also donating. But there is starting to be a resentment from those who cannot afford to make donations. Backlash at being told that even five dollars is worth it. Yes, it is worth it. But, I also know how it feels to not have enough to ride the subway, let alone donate five bucks.

Here's what I say to the people on either side of the argument. Let those who can donate NOW, do so. Let those who cannot be at peace because at some point in the future, maybe they will be able to make a donation. Aid isn't something that lasts for only a moment. In six months time, Indonesia and Sri Lanka will still need assistance. There will still be people mourning, people without homes, and people without what we consider the basic necessities of life. The victims of last year's earthquake in Bam are still struggling to rebuild after their impoverished city was demolished, sadly, this time next year we will be able to say the same for those affected by the tsunami.

So, remain calm. Do what you can. Give what you can. If you can't give now, give later. Offer a prayer. Offer your services to a volunteer organisation if you still feel guilt. It's okay.