Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Honestly, I didn't mean to neglect this journal, the host site was poopered, so I didn't bother. Anyway, things have happened, and time has passed. I'm a few days older and the holiday season is fast approaching. Americans are about to have their Thanksgiving, Toronto's had it's Santa Claus parade, and I put up the Christmas lights. Yes, I'm beginning to feel festive.

Putting up the lights is really when it all begins for me. I go out, do battle with some very sharp connifers and then magic happens. This year, Mom and I tested our lights before stringing them, as always, but were stunned to discover how many of them didn't work. The oldest strings worked the best, but the newer ones were totally defective, in some cases after only one season. Stupid, disposable Christmas lights racket. Mom invested in some LEDs that proport to be indestructable, so we shall see.

We pride ourselves on our tasteful light displays. I got a smack in the face with hideous displays en route to my friend's house tonight. Alana lives very near to where I used to live and there ain't nothing more, um, remarkable than the lights in that neighbourhood. I wasn't disappointed - there was a house with an entire nativity scene (light-up, no less), surrounded by glowing Frosty and Candycane wall ornaments, and the entire house was festooned with swags of mismatched multi-coloured lights. From the cab I was riding in, I missed whether the lights were musical. I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

So, what am I doing in Toronto tonight? Like I said, I was with my friend, Alana, with whom I attended the Royal Ontario Museum's "Magic of Indigo Blue" lecture and auction to benefit the ROM's textile department. Alana made her outfit, naturally, being the costumer she is (pictures to come), and also a long blue skirt for me (just for accompanying her). She made an incredibly gorgeous corset for herself and a matching skirt and shrug. Anyway, it was fun. We were clearly the best dressed. I actually made a last minute purchase at Le Chateau, buying a really nice, off-white sweater with a very flattering neckline. I also got to wear my new winter coat - though it wasn't really cold enough for it. Alana got compliments on her outfit (well, I got a few, too), and I got some great coat comments.

Babbly, me. New topic. Where's the snow? I demand snow. Christmas lights and my gorgeous coat demand snow. Okay, not much of a new topic. Hopefully, I'll have more to say soon.