Saturday, October 16, 2004

I had forgotten what it's like to live from project to project. I have trouble thinking more than a few days ahead because I have so many school assignments due. For instance, when I'd presented my project on Thursday, I started to think about my assignment due on Friday (yesterday). Now I'm thinking about the project due on Monday. Happily, there's not much that I need to do for that one, so I'm able to think ahead to Tuesday's report. That's a bit of a biggie. I'll spend most of tomorrow working on it. After Tuesday, I get to think about the next project due on Friday. If you ask me to hang out, get together, or anything, I usually can't say whether I can or not. If I forget my agenda, like I did this weekend, nevermind, I can't make any plans at all since they have to be worked around my projects.

It was nice to be at my cottage for four days over Thanksgiving, but to be quite honest, it already seems like an eternity ago. The weather wasn't terrific, but neither was it bad. It got progressively cooler each day and night and by Sunday, we had the stove going all day long. That wood stove keeps the cottage nice and toasty and fills the air with the wonderful scent of woodsmoke. Combine that with the smell of roasting turkey and mulling cider and it's olfactory heaven ! Of course, we left Chester behind with a babysitter and neither Mom nor I felt much guilt about that. The girls behaved very well and enjoyed having doors opened and closed at most hours. Melody divided her time between Mom and me, while Willi slept with me exclusively. Willi and I took a little walk together - it's very cute the way she does that. She rarely lets me get more than twenty feet away when we go walking and she talks to me regularly as we explore. When Mom and I took a long walk down the road, we had to make sure Willi was distracted with something else or she would come along and we don't want her near the road.

Speaking of roads, I do have a bit of bad news. The highway that so long ago was intended to serve Mirabel Airport from Montreal (a useless airport) is finally going through. We've been saved for twenty years from its arrival. Mirabel failed to generate much traffic and money has been tight for make-work projects. Now, however, as Mont Tremblant is built up and built up, the powers that be want to put a direct route from Ottawa to Tremblant and therefore they're extending Highway 50, stalled for a decade or more, through our hills. So, now it's really happening. We'll hear it, of course, but not as badly as it could have been. Once, it had been planned to go in just below our camp, but now it'll be nearly a mile down the road. They plan to build an over pass for our road so we won't need a service road to get down to the old highway, which is good, but the construction will be awful. As I understand it, the road is slated to go in in 2007 or 2008. Here's hoping that there are further delays.