Friday, October 08, 2004

Another week of class down - two more to go until Reading Week. Gone are the days when a week off from class meant slack time. Looking at my planner for the coming weeks, it only gets worse from then on in. As it stands, I'm already taking about 10 hours of homework with me to the cottage. This is one of the few times I've ever wanted to have a computer up there. I took one, once, and tried to write my 'novel' but there are just so many other things to do... This time I have no choice. The work has to get done. And, the day after I come back, I have to do a presentation. Hee. Yikes.

We all got our marks for the first group assignment. My group did very well, scoring 86.4%, which is not to be sneezed at. With two marks of four back from my first class, I'm running about 89%. Hopefully, that can be upped. I really want to do well. Really well. This is kind of exciting, since previously, I didn't care so long as I didn't utterly disgrace myself.

Yesterday, before going to class, I did something I haven't done in about two years; horseback riding. I went for a lesson with Kerri, rode a nice gelding named Kid, and realised that I am totally out of shape. At least out of riding shape. My body was willing and remembered what to do, but my muscles simply couldn't maintain it. I'm so weak ! Also, since I've put on weight without riding at the same time, I hadn't adapted to it and found myself terribly off balance. By the end of the ride, I'd regained some balance, but it was sooooo uncomfortable. I've pretty well committed to at least one lesson a week - I need it. I would like to be in good enough shape that following school and internship, I can spend a week riding with Christopher Todd. I mean to take him up on his invitation and if I can do it, I'd like to so sometime before I embark on my career.

Needless to say, I'm bloody sore today, and I'll be extra stiff tonight after the drive out to the cottage. We're leaving Chester behind - I can't recall if I mentioned in this journal that he'd come back, but he has. Friends of ours used the cottage for a week halfway through September and started calling him as soon as they got there. He turned up on their second day, dishevilled, skinny, and exhausted. Anyway, we're leaving him in the Petes where he can be babysat and we don't have to worry that he'll end up lost again. We'll take the girls, Melody and Willi, since they pretty well stay close to home and Melody needs meds every day. Despite the homework and shorter days, I'm looking forward to the cottage so much. It'll be a bit chilly in the outhouse in October and swimming will be pretty much out of the question, but there will be walks to take and books to read and, generally, it will be good. I really need this break from class.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving (Columbas Day, if you're in the States).