Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Well, I've moved. Despite taking three hours longer than I'd anticipated, which made for some chaos at the Peterborough end, everything ended up running smoothly. (Smoothly. Think about that word - it's kind of weird. Say it slowly to yourself.) The whole moving process, from the time I picked up the van to when everything was emptied out of it, took about thirteen hours. First, we moved Stew. My friend Megan helped in the morning - she's so reliable for things like that. I happened to have found the Christmas gift I bought for her three years ago (and then lost) so I was able to give it to her, as well as the Sesame Street underwear I bought for her in New York in June. "I love New York in June, how about you?" She remarked on my lack of organisation, but in fact, I was a lot more organised than she thought. Everything was sorted, it was just kind of hodgepodge all over. And, I reminded her, that though it was easier to move her back in May, at least she didn't have to wade through cat vomit to help me.

Derek helped out in the afternoon when Stew and I returned from his storage space. We'd had fun cramming his stuff into the unit, and with the exception of smashing the glass cover of his clock's face, it was pretty uneventful. I even spun him around while he was sitting on the dolly. At one point, while we were loading the van full of all my frigging heavy art books, Derek and I rubbed our sweaty heads together and I thought Stew was going to vomit he looked so disgusted. Just to be sure, I asked the landladies if I could leave some of my stuff and they said yes. So, following my Birthday outing on Saturday with Tracy and her mom, I'll load up Mom's car with the last of it.

I'm sorry this entry is so disjointed, but it's the best I can do today. I'm thinking in tangents, I'm afraid. Let's blame exhaustion. In fact, I went to bed at a quarter past eleven last night. Rick was surprised to find me already dozing under the covers. He was very good to me last night, running out after the hockey game to get me some wonton soup and an eggroll. I wouldn't go with him as I'd fully sagged into the couch and did not think I'd be able to move until after I'd eaten.

I don't know how I'm going to manage turning myself into a lovely lady for tonight. Rick's taking me to see The Last Empress and dinner at Penelope beforehand. I forgot my shoes at my old apartment, so I'll dash over there to get them, then back to Rick's where I will change. Then off to the restaurant. Whew.

That's it. I can't type anymore.