Friday, September 10, 2004

How much furniture can a woman assemble? Well, that's a good and completely relevant question that I have attempted to answer this week. I put together three different units for my bedroom. You see, I am transforming (with the help of my mother) my room from that of a girl to that of a studious adult. Or something. The conditions could not bear my computer, printer, scanner, stereo, etc. and the dresser was simply incapable of handling my substantial wardrobe. As it is, I have already weeded out about ten items that can be given to charity and there's plenty remaining for me to dig through. My computer, Natasha, will be very happy and well kept in my new and beautifully made computer armoire. It took nearly four hours to put together last night, but it's gorgeous and more than satisfactory. Installing her into it is another story and will probably wait until Monday night.

This week has had me not only constructing furniture and moving it about, but also at school. Despite the relative frustrations that accompany the return to school (any school, really), such as having every single book on the list sold out, photo ID office closing at 4pm (the same time class ends), hour-and-a-half waits for the financial aid office, and the ever tedious 'introduce the new students to every frigging staff member at the college' presentations, it has been very enjoyable. The first two weeks are an immersion into the programme, and held at the Centennial Museum and Archives. We already had an introductory fieldtrip to the Trent University Archives and Hutchison House today. "Death by Slides" wasn't nearly so deadly as all that, and for the most part, my classmates seem like a really interesting bunch. Thirty-eight students, only two of them male, all of them, but the Trent linkage students holding at least one degree. We've already been thrown into groups and our first piece of homework is due Monday. Our first project (a group presentation) is to happen on Thursday, and then there will be two more projects due the following week and the one after that.

Whew ! There's going to be a lot of work and the days might seem long - one of them beginning at eight in the morning - especially on those that require a commute from college campus to museum site, but I just know it's going to be awesome. I only hear great things from past students and the faculty are zealous and more than qualified.

As for the living with Mom? So far, so good. I stunned her by going out and buying groceries. Next, I'll have to cook. :)