Tuesday, June 29, 2004

On not having enough time:

I have not, in fact, dropped off the face of the planet. I know that some people might dispute this as there has been virtually no proof of my existence at all. Let me assure you, gentle reader, that I am here, moving through life, on this very plane of existence. Now, if I look back over my schedule since returning from New York I can see that I've been very busy. While there were a couple of days off at my disposal, they were disposed of in a very tedious manner; generally speaking, at work. The work might have been more enjoyable than my other work, but still work. There was also a sick day in there, but it, too, was spent working. Include in this twelve hours of volunteering for my NDP candidate, and the other work that I did upon arriving home from, you guessed it, work, and you have a very full schedule. And a somewhat confusing paragraph.

Now, look ahead through my coming month and you will find that although my work for the candidate is finished, there are contracts that need completing (in the VERY near future), and not a single day off until the 13th of July. Sure, this coming weekend, while not actually working at the ROM, I'll be working at a tradeshow (read: Toronto Trek sci-fi convention), and that's a lot of work that requires me to be on the ball all day, every day. Okay, to be fair, one day after the tradeshow, I'll not be working, I'll be driving between Toronto and Peterborough and (you guessed it) working on contracts. Heh.

Hopefully, this explains my lack of posts and/or social activity. There is a wedding I must attend in Quebec near the end of the month so I will have a few days off (thankfully), but honestly, I have no idea when I'll get a real chance to visit my cottage this year. I hope I will before I go back to school, but there's no guarantee, considering all the schedules that need balancing this summer. I must say that it is very different working in Visitor Services than it was in Membership. In the latter, I could pretty much walk into my manager's office and say that I wanted such-and-such days off and it would be done. This job is quite a bit more 'real world' than the other was, though. I'll eventually get used to it. In the meantime, I'm trying to determine my schedule for August. It's going to have to revolve around moving house and other non-ROM-related work.

This leads me to my options surrounding my return to school. Hopefully, there will be some flexibility that will allow me to commute from Peterborough every other weekend, or so, to work, but won't require my being at the museum every Saturday and Sunday. There is precedence for this flexibility, but if not, I have the option of requesting Educational Leave. Again, there is quite a bit of precedence for this being accepted. If not, well, that is a whole different kettle of fish. Or bucket of eels. Whichever.