Tuesday, May 11, 2004

In many cultures, the arrival of spring is heralded by celebrations of fertility and the sewing of seeds. While I did not engage in Beltane or May Day activities, I have been busily planting my terrace garden. It is looking very pretty now. One box contains a couple of ivy varieties and a pair of magenta geraniums. Another contains some attractive veregated something-or-others and parsley seeds that will hopefully germinate. In another box I planted some two dwarf lavendar plants and impatiens. Finally, I have two planters with geraniums and impatiens (pink and white). I once vowed never to plant geraniums because esthetically speaking I don't love them, but I have realised that they're nearly impossible to kill, which is good, because I can be a little eratic with the watering. So, in my own way, I have celebrated the arrival of spring, too.

The trees have started to leaf, they're either all budding or sprouting and flowering. It happens all at once; suddenly the world is green. The light green leaves of spring are my favourite, and I enjoy the blooms raining petals on the street. I happened to be walking late last night, returning from my friend's house, and it was drizzling but quite warm, and the air was heady with the smell of blossoms. I have often wondered why flower scents become so much more pungent at night. The walk home was really nice, though; with no one out and about everything was peaceful.

Knowing that I'm going to be moving to Peterborough in September, I'm really taking advantage of Toronto while I can. I do love this city for all it's superficiality. I even enjoy the ambient noise, though not so much the smog. Besides, Peterborough has air just as bad as Toronto. I like that there's always something to do. I like that there are so many funky people (and I mean that in every possible sense of the word) walking around. I love how multicultural Toronto is and the way the neighbourhoods bleed into each other.

On the other hand, in Peterborough I can ride horses again. THAT will be wonderful. I miss horses and being part of the horsey community, even as a fringe member. I even (or should that be 'especially'?) miss smelling of horses. Long ago, my leather jacket stopped smelling, even in the rain. It's a strange thing to miss, perhaps, but when it's part of your life for years and then it's gone, it leaves a void. Another good thing about going to Peterborough will be living rent-free with my mother. Some people, going into their late 20s, resent having to move home again. And how do I feel about it? I think it sounds super. I adore my mother and she's become my closest friend. We seldom fight and though sometimes the teasing gets biting, our relationship is really great. And it will be so much easier having laundry facilities in the same place as my bed.

Tonight, there will be barbeque ! Stew came into my room yesterday and subtly hinted his desire for steak. "You know, this weather makes me think barbeque..." My answer went something like this: "Yes, Stew, I will bbq tomorrow. I'm not going food shopping today." He bounced with excitement. I am Queen Barbeque, you see. And, tomorrow, I'm going up to A&C's to check on the plants, etc., as they're in Chicago. They'll be back on Friday, but tomorrow is the first chance I have to make sure things are okay.

C'est tout.