Thursday, March 11, 2004

"Troubles, like babies, grow larger with nursing." So reads the sign outside the Dovercourt Baptist Church. I know what it's trying to say, but I think it fails. It has the feel of being translated from a different language. Anyway, I couldn't get it out of my head all evening last night once I'd read it. I kept repeating it in my head as I rode the bus home last night and it was the first thing I said to Stew when I came up the stairs. It really doesn't put babies into a nice light at all, especially if you put emphasis on the 'like babies' part. Creepy.

Last night was my Yay-I-Quit membership party except we (all who attended) were all kind of out of it and not very partilicious. A bit disappointing, but it was nice to see people, especially Nick, whom I had not seen since before Christmas. I was sorry that A&C had not come out, but they, too, were kind of bleh. Anyway, we were at Insomnia a place that has amazing food and great drinks. Our waiter wasn't a barrel of laughs, but he mostly got the job done effectively.

I've been settling into my new positions at the ROM with very little difficulty, but there is so much to learn about the VS postion that I just hadn't ever thought about. My first day on cash went well and at the end of my day everything balanced. Lia was my trainer and since she has a hard time explaining things, I got to do a lot of practical learning, hands-on, etc. It's the best way to learn, though. I'm back in there on Sunday working cash, which is the first weekend of March Break. I'm on the cash that stays open the longest so that ought to be a challenge.

Today's school groups were very good, the kids all really well behaved and quite keen. I had one teacher lose her cool because she thought that everything was taking too long and they were supposed to be, "in a lab RIGHT NOW." I calmed her down and promised that their lab wasn't going to go anywhere and that whomever was leading it understands that sometimes the tours run late. She also was one of those people who thought she knew everything. The best class of the day was a grade eleven class from a christian highschool. They kids were a lot of fun and really got a kick out of my descriptions and stuff. When I referred to Ahkenaten's 'man-boobs', they killed themselves laughing and when I described him marrying his daughters adding, "Mmm, nothing like a little incest to keep a bloodline pure," they groaned and shuddered. They actually knew very little about Egypt not being a history class and that was kind of refreshing, especially since they were so receptive. Had I known, at the time, that they were from a christian school, I'd have talked a bit about the theories relating to who might have been pharoah during the Exodus, but I didn't know so I didn't say. Maybe that's for the best as yesterday I was cornered by a christian mother and her homeschooled children.

Tonight I will get paid, which will be a truly wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to it. I've been living so tight these past two weeks. Without the help of my mother and Rick I would not have eaten at all. Rick's been very generous, treating me to dinners everytime we've been out for the last three months. Soon I will be making more money and I'll hopefully be able to repay some of my debt, but I know that this paycheque is pretty well earmarked for bills and medication. There won't be much left to spend or save.

Finally, there are three significant things coming up in the next week. Firstly, my mother's birthday on the Ides of March. Secondly, A&C's first wedding anniversary also on the Ides. And thirdly, Rick and I will have been together for FOUR years as of the 18th. Wowsers. Go us, all of us ! And now I shall go home as my day here is done.