Monday, March 15, 2004

There comes a time in every woman's life, usually once a year, when she has to make a visit to the doctor to get... checked out. Awkward as it can be, if the doctor has a nice manner and can still laugh at your jokes while peering into parts never intended to be seen in such a manner, well, the experience can be rendered inoccuous. Today, I had such a doctor. In fact, this doctor gave me the best exam I think I've ever had, if that can be said about something so utterly undesired. Young men think that there could be nothing better than staring into a woman's vagina all day, or at least I've heard them comment that being a gynacologist is a 'dream job'. This is because they have NO IDEA how unappealing and utterly unsexy the job really is. I would like to thank Dr. Hussein for making my appointment after work as - pleasant is probably the wrong word, here - unheinous as it could be.

Actually, I had a surprisingly good day at work. Today I was one of the 'break people' or 'breakers' in VS. Of course, it's March Break, so there aren't any school groups and I refused to be strapped into armour or do 'medieval dancing' for the enjoyment of an ungrateful crowd, so VS has me for most of the week. Today consisted of being 'in charge' at least for short periods of time. I got to relieve the lead hands for their breaks and lunches which put me in a direct supervisory position above the people on the registers. This is sort of funny considering I have worked a total of two days on the register, only one of which was unsupervised. However, with the exception of a couple of hairy moments, the day went extremely fast and without too much trouble. The job of this particular job is that you get to move around a lot. When not breaking people, I was doing crowd control (this means I get to yell and we all know how much I enjoy doing that), direct and float around being useful. Even better, no one yelled at me. Huzzah !

Today is A&C's one year anniversary. It is sort of hard to believe that they've been married this long already... or even that there was a time when they weren't. Rick and I went over to their place on Saturday in order to help celebrate this festive ocasion. I dyed Carrie's hair red (hopefully it won't fade out right away like last time) and brought over dessert. Rick came over a bit later with a bottle of wine. We went for tasty food at one of the Firkin pubs (um, the Goose and Firkin, maybe?) and I was overjoyed to find REAL steak and kidney pie on the menu, not the wannabe steak and mushroom pie (which is also tasty, I must admit). We went back to their place for the lovely fruity cheesecake I'd brought and wine, enjoying Underworld at the same time. Unfortunately, and not really surprisingly, I got hit with a migraine and had to lie down for over an hour in order to let the medication do its job. That sort of spoiled the evening, but other than that episode, it was fun. Hopefully, they are doing fun things tonight, but they're probably just playing Everquest. ;)

Rick and I will be celebrating our fourth anniversary of being together this coming Thursday. We'll be celebrating it on the bus, heading out to Peterborough where we will also jointly celebrate my Mother's Birthday. Today is actually her birthday, but I can't be out in the Petes until later in the week and Rick took a day off work in order to come too. Maybe all of us can mutually treat each other to a nice dinner out. :) I sent my mom a spring bulb platter from the excellent Peterborough flourist, Pammett's Flowers. This was the very first time I'd ordered flowers for anyone and it was terribly exciting. Well, not really, but there were just so many choices. I'm afraid I pooped out on the little card that accompanies the plants: "Happy birthday, Mom. Love Maya." How's that for original? Anyway, I didn't want to waste money on a bouquet of cut flowers or an arrangement. This way, the bulbs can be dried and planted in the garden next fall so that they can come up once again in the spring.

Happy Birthday, Mom !!