Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Today is my interview for the Visitor Services job. I am really nervous. As a rule, I don't get particularly anxious before an interview, but I really want this job and I have a lot of excellent competition. I am also a little nervous about the interviewers, especially Keenan, who is known for his difficult questions and unfriendly manner. I've interviewed with him before, so at least I won't be surprised, and I spent a lot of time preparing myself last night. I wrote out questions and answers, situational examples, talked briefly to my mother about it and I guess I'm ready. But it doesn't take the butterflies away.

I spoke to my supervisor, Richard, about using him as a referrence for the VS job and he said yes, of course, but he's disappointed that I am hoping to get into that department. I'm not the only one from Membership who is hoping to make the move, either. It's really hard to argue with my rationale, though, since the pay is quite a bit higher and the shifts are twice as long. I promised him that if I get the job I will make sure to give my full two weeks so as not to leave him in the lurch. I also spoke to Peter, my in-office supervisor (data entry), and told him that one way or the other, I was going to have to give up that job for Education. There are two options: 1. that I give him my letter of resignation and two weeks or, 2. he simply not schedule me for the duration of my contract leaving me free to return when it ends. I'm hoping he'll go for option 2, but I'm not holding my breath.

I had a long conversation with Tracy last night. It was weird to talk almost the whole time about 'grown-up' issues. She recently passed her board exams and now has only about two more months until she's officially Dr. Waugh. We discussed her home-buying plans with Paul, her fiance, and how the bank doesn't want to give her a loan (not surprisingly, since she's not currently employed or contracted). I'm not bothered by her being engaged, it was a long time coming, but this house-purchasing business is just... well, it's so grown-up. I'm still fantasing about the loft I'll have one day and she's about to BUY a home with her husband-to-be. It kind of makes my head swim.

Generally, I try to avoid thinking about things like that because more often than not I begin to feel like an underachiever. Then I have to remind myself that while Tracy is on the brink of becoming a vet, she's had to sacrifice a lot of life experience. When I stand on the life-spiral and look down, I'm not in the same place I was, even if it sometimes feels like I am. There are a lot of challenges and obstacles that I have overcome and I have done more things than many other people my age. So, while I'm not ready to buy a house and start my career, I am well on the way to becoming a truly fascinating person. Go me.