Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Home sick, today, with what I suppose is a cold, I have spent most of the day in bed. There's a vague thought that I might like to make myself some soup, but that requires effort, even if it's only to open a can, pour out the contents and add an equal part of water. I woke up this morning with my right eye glued shut and puffy with infection and I can't turn my head to the right. Peter, from the ROM, called to see how I was doing - it's a crunch week and I am loathe to miss work, but there is nothing I can do about this. Hopefully, I'll be fine tomorrow, but if I feel like I do right now, I suspect I'll be out again. More than likely, this is partially my body's response to my extreme nervousness about the interview and everything related to it. Stress and adrenaline held me together through the last two days, and today the seams split.

Anyway, about the interview: It went on longer than at least two I heard about, lasting a little over half an hour. It still remains one of the shortest interviews I've ever had, not including the French portion that was held afterward. I had prepared quite extensively for the interview and therefore managed to give consise answers and appropriate examples. As well, I stressed my years of experience at the ROM and in customer service. I also talked about my love of the ROM and all the time I've spent in it, excluding work time. My fears of dealing with Keenan were unnecessary as he sat back and took notes, not asking any of the questions. I was able to ignore him almost the whole time. I was very professional, shaking hands with the interviewers at the start and acting as if we did not have a history together at the museum. At the end, I thanked them all for the opportunity to interview and shook their hands once again.

The French portion of the interview was held down in the Visitor Services section with Estrella, one of my favourite people at the ROM. She speaks beautiful French (as well as several other languages) and she is very easy to speak with. That isn't to say that speaking French was easy. I was still riding a wave of anxiety and my French was all over the place. One sentence would come out nicely, the next would fall flat and I'd find myself stammering, unable to recall the word I wanted to use. We spoke for about eight minutes, which for me is an eternity, and I think I managed to make myself understood. I used some words that I swear I haven't used since I was in French Immersion, back in elementary school. I also said I would be more than happy to take a class to raise my speaking ability since my comprehension is great.

Now I have to wait. I was supposed to bring in my referrences today, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow. *sigh* Anyway, if all goes well, I'll know where I stand either Friday or Monday. I really, really hope I get the job. I want it badly. It's more money, better hours, and, not to say I don't like my colleagues in Membership, because that simply isn't true, but I have a broader social circle in Visitor Services. So, please cross your bits and hope for the best.

On a different note, I fired my second adorably nauseating dragon last night. I did not wait long enough for the model to cool and picked it up while it was still hot and soft, snapping its tail and one horn. I had to do emergency repairs on it and hopefully it will be alright. I will start painting it when I'm feeling up to it. There's more challenge to modelling these little figures than I'd imagined, though, because my cat likes to stick her claws into the soft, pliable clay. I have to be careful of her when she's sitting by me because if I don't pay close attention, she'll pull the clay right off my work surface. The last thing I want is her EATING my art, or the polymer clay, for that matter. Cats are so weird.