Sunday, December 14, 2003

In a tradition almost as old as celebrating Christ's birth at Solstice (about 1600 years, give or take), I have managed to miss one of my favourite seasonal TV specials. Tonight, I tuned in to the CBC just in time for the joyous finale of The Muppet Christmas Carol. However, I did get to traipse through the snow all over the place due to my being a dumbass. Between riding the streetcar several stops too far and opting to walk rather than commute, I did a lot of traipsing. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the bastard driving the black Lexus SUV who changed lanes for the sole purpose of showering myself and another pedestrian with buckets of salty slush. It boggles my mind that people can be so fucking rude. On a positive note, I was drinking a delicious Egg Nog Cafe Latte. Or Cafe Nog, as I call it. Yum.

All that aside, once all the foofahloo was done with, as in the getting of cars, the rendez-vous-ing of people, etc., setting up for the Gathering was remarkably easy. First of all, the loading dock was RIGHT NEXT to the DEALERS' ROOM. Inconceivable ! Hanging my art was also easy, since the artshow people decided that they would hang everyone's art for them. I am concerned that they will not hang my art nicely, and if that is the case, I shall rehang it when nobody is looking. All the stuff at the Sheridan Centre/Hotel went so smoothy, in fact, that all Nicole and I really had to worry about was how we ought to dress tomorrow.

I should pick up some more invitation sized envelopes, actually, since I'm out, and I should probably get a few more cards printed, too. I don't have enough to sell them individually, or to give a pack to Rick, who wants one. I will have to speak with Nick later to see if I can come by tomorrow after the convention to print more. Otherwise, all looks well and Nicole has okayed my wish to hang some of my non-Tolkien inspired art at the booth itself. I am not planning to have any of my miniature diaramas there, though, as I just can't shlep that much stuff on the TTC.

My weekend was great, if very busy and full of bus riding. I went to London on Friday to NOT hear Tanya sing the Messiah with the London Fanshawe Symphony Chorus. She is currently recovering from pneumonia, but I did have a great time staying with her nonetheless and the performance of the Messiah was actually the best performance I've ever heard. They were better, even, than last year's with the Toronto Symphony. I was very impressed, to say the least. I didn't get to stay in London as long as I would have liked because I had to make it back to Toronto in time to meet Rick and head to his family's in Stoney Creek. Plus, we had to poke around the Eaton Centre to find gifts for his parents. Dinner was great, as always, but this whole taking-the-bus business is cruddy. It's just another inconvenience I could live without.

Anyway, I think that's all for now. I should go finish painting the ornaments so I can give them away and all. Tons to do, so little time in which to do it. Hurray for holidays !

Finally, for those of you who follow these things, remember that Roman Gaming die? It was estimated for sale at 4000-6000$ US. It ended up selling for $17,925. If you don't believe me, check the results page. It was lot number 189. Somewhere, there is a very wealthy, very HAPPY geek.