Sunday, November 16, 2003

Yesterday, I went to the Royal without the free tickets that might have been supplied by someone if only I knew who that would be. Anyway, I met Rick at Bathurst Station and we took the Red Rocket down to the CNE. Rick very generously paid for my ticket and much of the food I ate, since I'm rather light on cash at the moment. I'm waiting for some cheques to come in the near future, but boy, the waiting sucks. Anyway, I did not spend as much time as I usually do pulling on the lips of the draught horses and it might be why I didn't feel too depressed at the end. I only molested a couple of horses, who were MOST co-operative about the whole thing, spending more time watching some Belgians prepare for a six-horse hitch competition. We also watched a demonstration of the Paso Fino horse and the cavalcade of dogs, which included a most humourous doggie obstacle course. Mom would have been very pleased, her favourite breed of dog (Nova Scotia Duck Toller) did very well. I spent a lot of time enjoying the goats and poulty/fowl and we did a lot of wandering through the antiques market.

I was eyeing some nice examples of early Canadiana at one booth, but rather than help me, the booth owner decided to hit up an older couple who weren't really looking that closely at his stuff. You see, while he might have actually made a contact with me, because I was dressed in a tatty leather jacket and hooded sweatshirt rather than expensive knit co-ordinates and pressed slacks, he got no where with the couple. They humoured him and went on their way. Meanwhile, I was pulling out drawers and checking veneers. By the time it dawned on him that I was actually interested in what he had, I was no longer interested in his wares. I hate antiques dealers. We did spend a lot of time looking at the used books, too. Rick found one example from the late 1800s that had the original bookmark in it. The bookmark had likely not been moved in many decades because it had completely discoloured the pages around it. Also, I found a map dated to the mid-to-late 1500s. It was of Bohemia (modern Czech Republic), but if it had been of the Low Countries or England I might have been seriously disappointed that I couldn't afford it.

Rick and I did enjoy the food, naturally. A big hit every year is the perogies/cabbage rolls stand. They're just so darn good. Also, he had the lamb-on-a-bun while I tried the bbq'd sirloin beef-on-a-bun. Very beefy ! We finished up with apple dumplings baked fresh and prepared before your eyes. They came with ice cream and were very delicious. Of course, there were also beer nuts as we walked about. It was a very pleasant day spent with Rick, who I don't spend a lot of time with these days. Of course, that has a lot to do with the election that has now ended, but also because of other things. Anyway, it was really nice.

In other news, I have been doing some thinking. The other day, Stew said, "I have a brief story and a question for you." This is the story. I'm fairly certain you can guess the question. I am sorely tempted to say yes, but I have a couple very good reasons why I think no is the better answer. First of all, there are two cats already living in this apartment. Two very demanding cats. There isn't really the room for a third, even if she is going to be small. Willi and Tobe have only recently started to get along and I'm not comfortable bringing in a third cat just when everything is going so well. Is Stew willing to foot the bill for two cats to have their shots every year? I insist on keeping cats up-to-date, especially since both Willi and Tobe have escaped into the outside where they could encounter other creatures. Beyond this, the kitten is utterly adoptable. She will make someone else a lovely pet, I'm fairly sure. As much as I would like a kitten, I just don't think it's a good idea. *sigh* Stew may hate me forever.

On the plus side of things, I did some dishes today, so that ought to make him a little happy.