Friday, November 14, 2003

Things worth mentioning that I haven't gotten around to mentioning.

First of all, and, aside from the election, this is the most exciting thing that's taken place; Rick shaved off his hair. Holy cow, it's all gone, and it is SUCH an improvement. All this time, I never quite managed to come out and say, "Rick, I can't stand your hair," but now that it's gone, I have expressed my great enthusiasm. Hurray ! And, Rick's given me the go-ahead to help him create a new look. I'm so pleased, you have no idea.

Also, despite the election craziness, I somehow managed to find the time to finish two books and read another from beginning to end. I finished The Return of the King, minus the appendix bumpf at the back. Also, I finally completed the impressive history of the Medici family that I bought in Detroit. And, between the two, I picked up Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, which was absolutely terrific. I'd seen the black and white film version when I was much younger and remembered liking it and the book was as good and better. With the exception of the class distinctions and lifestyles of the latter half of the nineteenth century, it is fairly timeless. It is as relevant today as it was when it was written. It is also quite amazing that Wilde took great criticism and caused an uproar for the homosexual undertones of the novella. It's really quite tame by modern standards.

Yesterday saw much of Ontario receiving its first snowfall of the season. While it didn't last on the ground in either Toronto (from what I understand) or Peterborough, it certainly piled up in other regions. It makes me happy. I love snow. There were gale-force winds accompanying it, of course, which caused massive power outages all over the place due to falling trees. Willi insisted on going out in the messy weather (since she has garden privaleges at Mom's) and the wind had her terribly excited. She bounded all about in the near dark, crashing through leaves and scrabbling up the mountain ash. Things would have been near perfect had I come out to play as well, however; not nearly as impervious to the weather as Willi apparently is, I declined and eventually she got lonely and came in.

God, that was exciting, wasn't it?