Sunday, November 30, 2003

Okay. Before I talk about the lion king I have something to show you.

Who knew?

Several polyhedra in various materials with similar symbols are known from the Roman period. Modern scholarship has not yet established the game for which these dice were used.

I can think of a few. *laugh* The world is cool.

Anyway, The Lion King was what I was expecting, only much, MUCH more engrossing and far more complex than I would have guessed. It was spectacular. The last time I left a musical feeling as totally blown away was when I saw The Life with Megan in New York. And before that, Phantom when I was twelve. It was extraordinary. The costumes and puppets (which were basically one and the same) were so imaginative and whimsical. The elephant... OH MAN. The opening sequence was so fantastic, I almost cried. And Rafiki... the woman who played Rafiki is South African, and at least half of her lines were in a S. African dialect full of clicks and whistles. She was brilliant. I am very, very glad that I finally got a chance to see it. It was worth the wait. And it was also very nice to see it with Rick. Our seats were very good, to the side, but in proper chairs that we could move, so it kind of felt like we were in a box, and to make it even more appealing, the second act was opened with dancers among the audience, including right next to us. Keen !

Painting faces at the ROM was fun. It wasn't as busy as I imagined it would be, nothing like the last time where it was literally non-stop children for four hours. I had enough time yesterday between kids to take up the challenge and create a giraffe paper-bag-puppet. I even gave her a purple tongue with which she can lick her nostril. I was apparently a huge success with the kids, parents were thanking me profusely, taking my picture with their kids, and telling Richard (my boss) how wonderful I am. Validation is always nice, even if it is in a line of work one has no interest in.

So, anyway, I remembered the other thing that has to happen on Monday. My new landlord takes over. The house was sold, they want us to stay on (big sigh of relief), have moved into the lower part, and we have yet to meet them. It kind of sucks that I'll get to say, "Hi, I'm Maya, I can't actually pay you until mid-month, I hope that's not a problem." Heh, ya, right. Anyway, maybe with someone living downstairs again, and they being in control of the thermostat, we'll get some decent heat in the apartment. Or, maybe I'll just go ahead and bring my space heater back from Peterborough. It turns out that the swearing-in is actually on Tuesday, or the one open to the public, at any rate. A---- says it's some kind of party, so that might be fun. Instead, Carrie and I will continue our quest for pants and perhaps some Christmas gifts. So, that's my new Monday plan.