Sunday, September 21, 2003

The title of the spam message read, "Make love like a teen!" and I thought to myself, "God, why? The love teens make ain't nothing like the love made as we mature." I mean, if you're into messy, awkward sex, parents walking in on you, premature ejaculation, not orgasming at all... sure, by all means. But, I think I misunderstood it. They probably just mean fast and often.

Anyway, you will never believe who came into the ROM today. Okay, guess.

If you guessed TIM Sweet Transvestite CURRY, then you'd be right ! Whahahahaha ! And guess which lovely, personable, helpful ROM staffer talked to him in line. Yes, ME ! *squeal*

He came in with a woman I hope is his daughter, because she was about the same age as me, but hey, it's Tim Curry, so maybe it wasn't his daughter... He got in line and me, being the lovely, personable, helpful ROM staffer than I am, sauntered up to the line to do my, "Hi, welcome to the ROM. Is this your first visit?" spiel. He turned and looked at me and I thought, Wow, this guy looks a lot like Tim Curry. He told me that it was his first visit, and with a voice and accent very much like said person and I thought, Oh gee, maybe it IS Tim Curry.

I think at this point the recognition must have showed in my face, even though I behaved exactly as I would with any patron or customer, because when I asked him where he was visiting from he paused and his eyes twinkled just a bit before he said, "Los Angeles." Oh my GAWD, it IS him ! I talked to him a bit about the new and excellent Art Deco show that has just begun its three month run at the museum, wished him a nice visit and day and left him alone. Totally cool, I was, though by the end I'm fairly certain he knew that I knew who he was. This was probably solidified for him when I wandered to the information desk and said to Liz, "Oh my God, Liz, is that slightly portly guy in the line, with the goatee, Tim Curry?" Naturally, as she scanned the crowd, he looked straight at her and her eyes went wide and her mouth opened. Later, she said, "It was totally him. And he knew we were talking about him."

We both thought he'd be taller, but I guess the running around in six-inch platforms can really screw with a person's concept of height.

Oh, I just checked out some sites and apparently he IS here in Toronto shooting a family-geared film under the (working?) title of "Bailey". How odd. You can read a brief bio about him here, if you care. Also, for the record, while I came to love him for his portrayal of Dr. Frank N. Furter in Rocky Horror, I love him even more for rocking the Muppets in Muppet Treasure Island.

So, continuing with the discussion of my adventures at the ROM, I was supposed to have been working there on Friday for the Art Deco members' preview. Unfortunately, due to my rather scattered brain of late (stress, tons of work, emotional turmoil) I utterly forgot. It wasn't like I was out partying, either. I worked from home and then went into the Camp office to do more work. Then I went to meet Nicole for a girl night. It was not until I had gotten home that I thought it would be a good idea to double check my Saturday starting time when I saw that the schedule said I should have been working (not talking like a pirate). I freaked out. In my nearly five years of working at the ROM, I have never skipped a shift without having a genuine reason (being sick, car trouble, blizzard) and calling in to let them go. I ended up going into the museum on Saturday on three hours of sleep because I was so sure I would be in trouble. I was waiting for the lecture from Joane, but it didn't come. It turns out, both Tony and Kevin also missed shifts this month and because I'd never done so before, I was let off with an "it happens".

I did go see Underworld with Nicole, on Friday night, though, but that occured after I would have been done at the museum. It was pretty decent. I give it three-and-a-half stars out of five. It was typical of the genre and, while the comparisons to The Matrix and Blade are fair, it is definitely unique. It lacks the typical pounding soundtrack, for one, which is very cool, letting sound effects and music that you barely notice (or don't notice at all) help build the mood to match the action. It has an unlikely star in Kate Beckinsale and she does a very good job and her co-star is tasty Scott Speedman who also does a darn good job. It was shot in Budapest, I believe, and the city made a fantastic backdrop offering cobbled streets, grimy tunnels and dirty, ancient walk-up apartments. The clothing was actually what drew Nicole and I to see it and we were definitely not disappointed. The costumes were much better than either of the two films it is compared to. Much more velvet and lace, for a start, and deliciously complicated leather coats. Do go see it because it's pretty gripping and not the "Romeo & Juliet" tale we expected.