Thursday, July 31, 2003

Dave Gahan. Oh. My. God.

DAVE GAHAN.

Dave Oh My Fucking God Look At His Hips Gahan.

I thought that Dave fronting Depeche Mode was fantastic. Dave fronting for himself is even better. Unfrickinbelievable. AHHHH ! *Shrieks and has hysterics* He covered his album, which was incredible live, up close, and personal, and several favourite DM songs. Of the Paper Monsters songs, his renditions of "Dirty Sticky Floors", "Black and Blue Again", and "Bottle Living" were on FIRE. "I Need You" was just... beautiful. No other word for it, really. And, among the DM songs performed were: "Walking in my shoes" (of course), "Personal Jesus" (hello, did you see his hips?), and the most incredible accoustic version of "Enjoy the Silence". He and his band performed two encores, the first rocking down the house (nevermind this Mick Jagger bollocks), and the second being accoustic. Amazing and intimate; I've never loved any performance I've seen at the Kool Haus, except this one. It was so intimate and I was probably less than 20 feet from him. Gosh. Even the opening band, Kenna, was terrific. Had I not paid through the nose for a Dave shirt right at the start, I would have bought something cheaper and their CD. They were super and I spoke to their lead singer after the gig and he was charming and so genuinely pleased to be touring with Gahan and even more pleased that we all really liked his band. It was sweet.

So, my verdict? This was the best concert, barring DM performances and possibly one truly excellent They Might Be Giants show I saw several years ago, I've ever seen. Better than Metallica in '94, and that was a goooood concert, and better than the second time I saw TMBG. Hm. Maybe it ties with the original TMBG show for awesomeness. I think it might come down to the intimacy of both shows, considering both were filled with fan-band interaction. Also, apparently, there is an official name for the cult of Depeche Mode worshippers: The Devoted. We were chatting with each other on the streetcar and subway. AND, I'm glad I brought my fancy new business cards because Tracy (God, she's great) and I made new friends who are going to exchange photographs of the show with us. Yay !!!

Wow.

Did I already mention Dave's amazing hip-swinging moves? NUH.

I'm going to be so sore tomorrow. Goodnight.