Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I'm home, finally, after a long night of political social whatsamawhosit. It was Booboo's official campaign kick-off tonight and it was held at the Abbey at College and Rusholme. It was a little hot, but not humid so the patio with all the umbrellas up was livable and the inside was lightly air-conditioned and nice. There was food supplied, which was very generous of the pub, which was delicious. Unbelievably good ! It included two enormous platters of fruits and veggies, a platter of little sandwiches, another of some very delectable bruschetta, and the most amazing wraps ever (portabellow mushroom, sweet orange pepper, asparagus, and spinach dip to hold it all together). The drinks, of course, were not free, but they do a very good Cosmopolitan and a not-half-bad Bourbon Sour. The speeches were pretty good, nice and enthusiastic, and the candidate himself was in fine form. The event was a little under attended, which was disappointing, but there was a good amount of social mixing going on, and not too shabby on the donation side of things. One of my jobs was to run around and solicit money. I see a pattern (the ROM, the Peterborough Symphony, the campaign...). Anyway, I think a good time was had by most, and certainly a number of us stayed until after 11pm, and there were still a few remaining after that.

Last night was the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds show at the Koolhaus (my least favourite venue) and, not surprisingly, it was WAY TOO LOUD. Rick's ears were still ringing today and we both had headaches. The show was pretty good - nearly a full two hours - and Nick was in fine form. The accustics of the somewhat funked up warehouse do not suit any band or group that I've ever seen there, although Judas Priest fit the venue before it was renovate. Rick and I stayed on the couch in the corner, where we had a decent view of the stage and where I could hide behind all the people when they were standing to use as noise blockers. When I go see Dave Gahan there next month I will definitely be sporting earplugs. I enjoyed the show on the whole and have the tshirt to prove it. Following the concert, Rick and I went to Sneaky Dee's for some nacho goodness and it was good.

Saturday night, we had our most enjoyable D&D session yet, with Rick as Dungeon Master. He's found his rhythm and we've all started to gel as characters. My little gnome monk, Mumbee Wimblewarren - that's Apples to you - managed to successfully trip Rick's nasty cleric and leave him open for a brutal assult by Bill's raging barbarian. It was a lot of fun. Lots and lots of smashy-smashy goodness.

And now, back to the Kitty Front. I'm starting to think I should retitle this log as "News from the Kitty Front" but that might be a somewhat limiting subject. Increasingly, Willi is becoming neurotic. The cats were doing so good, and we know that they can share space and even beds, so there's no reason for Tobe's constant hounding, but whatever, it still happens. Willi peed in my black chair, which was startling as it's her favourite place for sleeping, and even moreso because she did it right in front of me. Happily, I caught her and stuffed her into the litter box and locked her in the bathroom so she only managed to wet a bit of the rug draped over the chair. I cleaned the chair, just in case, and I'll take the rug home tomorrow for washing. I am pleased to note, however; Willi is NOT the only one with weird peeing habits. Tobe, too, is a weird pisser. While not liable to go in strange places, she does press her rear so high up against the wall of the litter box that the pee runs out between the lid and bottom. Yes, that's right, despite using a BOX, Tobe manages to get urine all over the floor anyway. Disgusting ! God, sometimes it's like Stew and I live with a couple of disturbed two-year-olds.