Wednesday, April 02, 2003

I am irritable. I feel much like I'm edging onto a panic attack, which, if you have never had one, is not a nice thing, nor is the feeling just before. Background noises like music, talking, whistling, printers whirring; these things drive me crazy when I am like this. Currently I'm sucking the life out of a chocolate egg and counting down until lunch.

There is no real reason for me to feel this way, excluding the fact that I have about $40 to last me until next Friday, my job is utterly unfulfilling, and there aren't enough hours in the day. I had a really nice time in the Petes over the last few days. I helped at a PSO function that went off extremely well, spent yesterday in my nightgown, took baths... it was blissful. I even managed to get some drawing done. So, why am I a basket o'nerves today? I don't know.

There was an announcement at the ROM today about the new big donor... Michael Lee Chin, his name is, I think, and he donated a whopping 30 million dollars to the museum to help with the renovation project. God, it must be nice to just have that much money to throw at a project. The ROM staff was invited (encouraged strongly) to go downstairs and join in for the celebratory speeches, etc. Hilary Weston, ex-Lt. General of Ontario made a speech that I didn't listen to, and David Palmer, the president of the ROM Foundation spoke on behalf of Mr. Chin who could not be here due to family emergency, or something (SARS, maybe?), reading Mr. Chin's actual speech. That was a darn good speech. Then Tsabuchi (sp?), dorky Ontario PC hanger-on and current minister of culture, or something that he's utterly not qualified for, was introduced. That's when I took my leave.

Did you know, that while the ROM is laying people off because of the financial constraints of the renovation project, the head-honchos all got raises, the least going to the lowest-ranked of them, at a whopping $17,000 increase?

Is it any wonder that I'm irritable?