Sunday, March 30, 2003

As I was driving back from Anna's bridal shower today, the sun was shining in the western sky and everything was aglow in that fresh spring light that makes you believe that there's no such thing as rain or haze. The shower was in Stoney Creek, outside of Hamilton. Hamilton is not a beautious site as far as Canadian cities go, and Hamilton Harbour is something of an aquatic tribute to industry, but the day was so outstanding that even the smokestacks belching toxins seemed somehow less intrusive. There are points along the drive from Hamilton to Toronto that offer unparalelled views of Lake Ontario, especially off the skyway bridge. I could see so clearly that even Toronto, though shrouded somewhat by the haze of pollution, twinkled in the amazing light. The water was almost unmoved by wind and was the most glorious colour. Nearly cobalt blue, it was as though the water had taken the bright blue of the sky and gave it richness and depth. It was the colour I want to paint the 1954 Studebaker I will one day own. I wish there had been a place for me to pull over, to walk down to enjoy the waning afternoon, but the QEW, and indeed most southwestern Ontario highways, is not conducive to such whims. I enjoyed the view as best I could and wondered at how awesome the shoreline must have looked, not that long ago, when there were no condominiums, strip-malls, factories or smelters. What we have done to the shoreline is unforgivable, but today, there was still much beauty to be had if you knew where to look.

Anna is Rick's sister, the youngest of the three kids. She's getting married in May and today was her shower. It was the most extraordinary shower I, in my limited experience, have ever been to. She's marrying an Italian and my gosh, do Italians ever know how to throw a party. There were around 150 women - yes, THAT many - and little girls and there were tons of prizes and favours for everyone. Games were played, which were very funny, and three courses plus dessert and wine made by Anna's father. Truth be told, this was more done up than many of the weddings I've ever been to. I sat at a table with the groom-to-be's sisters, mother, and Darlene (Anna's mother), and all the women were great fun, except one of the sisters very bratty daughter. I wanted to take this little girl, turn her upside-down and dunk her pissy little head into a toilet. She had moments of charm and cuteness, but they were followed immediately by scowls and stomping, huffing and the constant threat that she might just throw a tantrum. The meaning of the word 'no' was lost on her, and not for want of her mother and aunts trying. Anyway, the baby and the older girl at my table were nice and pleasant, no pushing, flouncing, or whining. Anyway, it was mostly quite a bit of fun and when Anna stood up to thank everyone, she started to cry. It was sweet.