Thursday, March 06, 2003

I went home for a few days and therefore fell off the planet, again. Oops. Anyway, I had a great time chez Mom. I made her watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was on television, and, despite her protests at the start, I believe she thoroughly enjoyed it. What's not to enjoy? Some of the all-time classic movie moments are in that flick. On Sunday, she and I had an adventure when we went to see the Belleville Symphony. Neither of us had been to Belleville before, and we were both impressed with the quality of the orchestra and two out of the three soloists. Names escape me and I don't have a programme to relate to so you're out of luck. Suffice it to say, the soprano was truly excellent and the pianist, an 18 year old from Belleville, Elain Tam, I think her name is, was very talented.

Everyone we met in Belleville was incredibly nice. Talking to strangers in that town (it doesn't quite make a city at under fifty-thousand) seems to be a common and even welcome occurence. We decided to stop at the New Kilick's Family Restaurant off Highway 7 and were pleasantly surprised by the home-goodness and sheer tastiness of this unassuming roadside restaurant's food. Down-home goodness and the owners were very pleasant. Sunday was a mighty enjoyable day, full of surprises and beautiful scenery.

Willi ignored me almost the entire time I was in the Petes. I wonder if she even notices that I'm not there. Chester, on the other hand, lets me ruffle him up and do all sorts of undignified things to him that he won't even let my mother consider. Melody, now 15 years old, is a constant hassel when it comes to grooming. She's losing some of her winter coat and the static is reeking havoc on her long, fluffy fur. This means she gets combed nearly every day, if only to keep a handle on the mattes that develop along her hips. Poor hair creature. Anyway, I've left Willi with Mom since I'll be in Guelph this weekend and then I'll be back to the Petes on Thursday night for wedding excitement. Woo !

I have to get doing with two sets of thank you cards. One for Adam's NDP campaign and one for Al and Carrie. I had an idea for the latter, but I think that I've changed my mind. I don't know, I'll have to talk to them about it. I have yet to do the commission for Tony, which I've been putting off for two weeks, and I owe one to Rick, too. Speaking of Rick, we'll be celebrating our three-year anniversary, if you can believe that, a few days after the wedding. I still haven't gotten anything together for his gift. Not having been paid (still) for Adam's stuff has really been cutting into my finances. I'll figure something out.

Anyway, I think I'll just take a few words to pay a little honour to Mr. Fred Rogers. I have a lot to thank him for. When I was a child, way back when I was still living in New York, it was his television show that I think I loved the most. Sesame Street and The Magic Garden (a local New York show that you might not have ever heard of) were good, and I liked them, too, but Mr Rogers' Neighborhood I adored. I used to run up to the TV and kiss the trolly goodbye when it drove off the screen at the end of the show. I have a vivid memory of my mother windexing the screen to clean off my icky lip marks. Thank you, Fred Rogers, for teaching me about emotions, equality, caring, friendship, honesty, and imagination. You will be missed by millions.