Sunday, December 15, 2002

I'm still in Philadelphia and still having a good time. The weather hasn't been wonderful, though it's warmer than in Toronto. There's been a good deal of rain, and nasty Atlantic winds that are chilling and damp, but today it's lovely and sunny. I have been walking all around Centre City and on bits and pieces of South Street. Ben took Ali, her friend Tom, and myself out for all you can eat Japanese/Chinese buffet. Oh, sushi. How tasty you are. Anyway, digression aside, it's been a very busy, fun-filled trip so far. This is the longest I've ever spent in this city, too, which adds to the pleasure.

I hung my art on Friday afternoon, which was fun, if confusing. The art show was not as smoothly run as others I've attended, but it was also by far the largest art show. It had a huge number of varied and interesting artists, and to be quite honest, I was probably in the middle range of the talent pool. Donato Giancola, was the artist guest of honour and he was not only one of the MOST talented and skilled and artistically educated artists working in the field today, but also very gentlemanly, humourous, and a very good speaker. He took the time to sign everything people handed at him and never came across arrogant or impatient. Happy to answer questions and to talk to everyone, he was possibly the best guest I've seen at any convention ever. Other well known fantasy artists were present, either in person or represented by their work, such as Ruth Thompson and Ian Miller (quite a fine ink artist).

I got asked yesterday if I were dressed as Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Pigtails, glasses... they're not the first to see it. Heck, I see the resemblence myself, and I do a fair impersonation, or so Ali says. That said, I was just being me. I told one woman, "Actually, I had the schtick before Myrtle did. You can call me Moaning Maya." She didn't get it, but nevermind. Maybe I have a hallowe'en costume for next year. It should be easy enough to do. We had a lot of fun at the convention yesterday. Ali and I spent most of the day there, going to dinner with Ben and his mother as a break. Ben came for a couple hours in the afternoon, but Ali upgraded her day pass to a weekend pass in order to come back today. The masquerade was pretty weak, but everything else was great, especially Donato's talk and slide show. This morning, we met Tom, her friend, and went back nice and early for a panel on the original Grimm fairy tales and how they've changed over the years. Following that, I made sure to attend a panel of artists discussing the influence of classical art on the science fiction and fantasy genres. That was a high point for me.

Unfortunately, for those who want to know, I took a bath at the art show. I sold no originals, no matted prints, and indeed, not even a print. It is incredibly disappointing and very disheartening to come with high hopes and what you want to think are good works that people would want to buy. I take some consolation in the fact that very few people did well, though that fucking feather-painter did very well. I gues I'd better start painting on bird parts, rock slabs, and velvet. Seriously, though, even Donato, who I would have thought would do decently, did not manage to get even a single bid on any of his original art. Granted, his prints moved well, but still, it has to be depressing for him. It was certainly disappointing for me. I'm going to do Pandemonium in Toronto, and that's going to be it. I simply cannot afford to do this anymore. Part of me also feels that I just can't hold a candle to the people already in the industry. It's not a nice feeling, and mostly, it makes me want to strive harder, but it's hard to strive harder with so little time to work and no money to attend classes or buy supplies with which to experiment. Oh well, I learned things, and I did enjoy it, and it was nice to exhibit in the same room as Donato, too, so in other ways, this was good. I had just so hoped not to have to drag my work back across the border.

I did a bad thing today, too. I used money that I hardly have in order to buy Brom's latest book, "Offerings". It was cheap, it came with signature, and frankly, I've been looking for it for ages. Hopefully, no one actually bought it for me for Christmas. I also bought a couple of prints at VERY low cost and they'll make excellent gifts this season. I know who will get them, too. I talked for a long time with the guy from whom I ordered the Dark Elve print (I gave that to Rick for our anniversary last year) and the pair of Froud faerie prints (Tracy's birthday this year). He actually remembered me and that I'd ordered from Canada. "You don't come across a name like Maya too often. Lots of Sarahs and Jennifers, but not a lot of Maya's." He remembered that I'd emailed him about how timely his shipping had been, too. *laugh* Good company, that Chimera Publishing. The prints I bought, he even went so far as to scratch out the price and write 'sample' on them so that customs couldn't charge me duty or anything. Hurray.

Anyway, I think it's time to go now. I can't take the cigarette smoke in Ben's room. We're just going to chill out for a bit tonight, maybe have a game of D&D, draw, whatever. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the museum in the morning and then I'm going to do something with Megs again. It's my last day, so I'm going to make sure to enjoy it, broke or not. The next time I log will probably be from Toronto.