Tuesday, December 17, 2002

I have returned to Toronto and now am of mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, Philadelphia afforded me a wonderful break from the norm, putting me down in a city which never ceases to enthrall me, and on the other hand, I did something I don't normally do - long for home. Of course, returning home didn't have the full effect as Willi is living happily at Mom's for the most part this month. The bus ride was uneventful, though I opted to take the night bus rather than sleep the night in Philly and return on the day bus.

I spent the afternoon not taking Ben to the Art Museum as I'd intended, but just chilling in the house. He and I went for a nice walk to Rittenhaus(sp?) Park and along Walnut Street. I did some enjoyable window shopping and Ben had the experience of going into an expensive designer boutique for the first time. There were two pairs of boots that made me long for wealth, but ultimately, my money was better spent on snacks for the bus. Megs picked me up from his house sometime near five o'clock that evening and we went to South Street. I'd promised myself that I'd eat another cheesesteak while I was there and she took me to a place that did not disappoint. I think Nick recommended it at one point too: Ishkabibble's. This was an old school divey little place with a couple of counters and maybe seven painted barstools, no tables or chairs at all. I had the best cheesesteak of my entire life and Megs and I split cheese fries, which is the Philly answer to poutine and delicious in its own right. We wandered around South Street, popping into stores to look at the novelties and gifts. I picked up a couple of inexpensive doo-dads and then we went for coffee at the Philadelphia Java Company, or whatever it's called. Nice coffee, clean bathroom (something a little bit in short supply), pleasant staff, and good music made for an enjoyable couple of hours.

I do enjoy the city. I would move there for work. I love Megs and Ben and Ali and it's so damn close to New York. Now that I'm home, though, I'm enjoying a quiet day with a headache, in my night gown, with no intention of unpacking until tomorrow. It's back to the grind, the regular and the every-day. I'm going home on the 23rd when Mom and I will put up the tree and village. I'm really looking forward to that, but in the mean time, I've got things to do here in Toronto. I must do the lettering on A&C's invites (if they'd get the text to me, that would help - hint, hint), and actually start a rough drawing of the commission. I've got roughs worked out and a general layout, but I haven't actually started to commit myself to the job. Hopefully tomorrow I will learn that I shall be returning to work at site sales, preferably without having to do a formal interview. ILM emailed me and sent me a release form so that they can legally look at my portfolio, which is cool, and suggests at the very least, that they might actually look. There's more wrapping to be done and some shopping yet to do, but mostly that's all done now and I'm pleased to have it out of the way. Other than that, what I'm looking forward to are enjoying lunch with Rick tomorrow, the membership bowling party later this week, finally seeing The Two Towers on Friday (Nick's going tonight at midnight), and seeing Handel's Messiah with Rick on Saturday night. It's going to be a busy week.