Monday, November 04, 2002

I was in Rochester on Friday. How nifty is that? Okay, not very, I'll grant you, as people have been driving to Rochester since the invention of the automobile and even long before that in horse and buggy. I don't care. It was nifty. Strangely, it was pretty nifty to be in Buffalo, too.

Megan and I left Toronto around 11am, which was about an hour later than we'd intended. The roads were good, the day was beautiful, there was music on the radio and plenty to talk about. I had downloaded fully detailed directions from Mapquest to take me from Toronto to the Albright Knox and from there to the Four Points Sheraton in Rochester. Clearly, Mapquest is what you need in order to navigate the roads of Buffalo. We didn't get lost at all, not even once ! We listened to The Edge 102.1 all the way to Buffalo where the signal died, and found Q 107 was still coming in nice and strong.

We changed some currency just before the border (phew, good thing we remembered), and then crossed over at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge. I will NEVER take the Peace bridge again if I can avoid it. There were no line-ups to get through and the customs people were 100% nicer - in BOTH directions. There was a Modigliani show at the Albright Knox, which wasn't bad, but since it was called, "Modigliani and the artists of Montparnasse", there really ought to have been a greater emphasis on his contemporary artists. They did have a very good selection of Modigliani works, but there were perhaps two works, at most, of the other artists (Picasso, Brancussi, De Chirico, etc.). Another point that would have strengthened the exhibit would have been hanging the African and Oceanic art that inspired these artists. It would have been incredible to see the sort of mask that influenced one facial type of Modigliani or Picasso, or the fertility sculptures that were the influence behind some Modi's caryatid designs. Anyway, we didn't really have a lot of time to check out the rest of the museum, but I do plan to go back. On the recommendation of Leonard, the security guard, we went and had a quite decent lunch at the Towne Restaurant, a Greek-American diner near downtown Buffalo. We discovered that there ARE nice parts of Buffalo and LOTS of interesting stores. Remind me to go antiquing there when I have money, some day.

When we left the museum, the ground and trees were dusted with snow, and this fragile coating continued all the way to Rochester. Hello November ! It was gorgeous ! We passed a sign on the road for a town called, Churchville, and we decided that it was a secret residential compound of, as of yet, undiscovered Muslims. We did a lot of laughing through out the entire trip, which was nice. Once we were at the hotel, we found the art room and the auction director and I set about getting my stuff up. I picked a panel between two crappy artists (one doing that shite tv character montage art that makes me queasy) in order to stand out. We had a lot of fun hanging my work and then strolling through the rest of the art show discussing the generally cheesy art. Ruth Thompson was hanging work there, though, and that was cool. She's a pretty keen old-school fantasy artist who's done work for Dragon and Dungeon magazines and for Magic: the Gathering cards. Man, she was a kick-ass lady. I liked her a lot.

So, after catching some coffee and free food in the Con Suite, we hit the road again. There was significant heavy weather mid-way between Rochester and Buffalo, which was sort of startling since the snow had stopped everywhere else. We literally rounded a bend in the highway and hit 5-8cm thicknesses of half-frozen snow and slush. Suddenly there were cars all over the place but not on the road and emergency vehicles everywhere. The white sedan that had passed us at a ridiculous speed was being hoisted up onto a flatbed as we drove past. It was insane. I was most thankful to have a recently tuned car that happened to have a full range of 4-wheel drive. Other than that, nothing else eventful happened. Just more laughing and talking and singing to the songs on the radio. We did have one humourous moment at a Sunoco station when I suddenly realised that I had no idea how much a gallon of gas was. "Megan, do you know how much a gallon is?" Her response, "No idea. Is gas cheaper or more expensive in here than it is in Toronto?" My answer: "How should I know? I don't know what a gallon is in litres !"

More to come when next I'm at a computer.