Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Huh, I seem to be missing the first five months of my weblog archive. Oh well.

On Sunday, Rick and I went to Burlington to join the rest of his family in celebrating his grandparents' (on his father's side) 50th wedding anniversary. Wowzers, were there ever a lot of people there that I'd never met before. Aunts and uncles and cousins and then some; all too many of them saying things like, "I've heard so much about you, Maya..." If there's one thing I have to say about Rick's family, they are an amazing cross-section of society engaging in all sorts of varied and interesting lives. I especially enjoyed his Uncle Michael and his Finnish wife (Karda? something like that) who live in Orleans.

Brunch was had at The Waterworks in Burlington and it was quite splendid. If you wanted an omlette, they made one right there in the open and brought it. If you wanted waffles, they were making them right behind the omlette guy. It was a grand buffet with poached salmon and various seafood, eggs benedict and many varieties of bread, salads, and marvelous desserts. I particularly enjoyed the creme caramel. Following the brunch, we all headed to an Aunt's house, I forget which aunt it was. There was a small, overly excited dog, and lots of champagne. It was very nice and all sorts of people cried during Dick's (Rick's grandfather) speech. It was very nice. We ended up staying until after 4pm when I decided it would be good to hit the road. It was a really nice day.

I'm back to three days a week at the ROM, which sucks, but since Tony and Aman are now working one day each, it was bound to happen. Unfortunately, it means that I'm back to the old job search. I hate looking for work, and I'm a job snob, which makes it even more difficult. I won't wait tables, I won't tend bar, and I am not a secretary. Yup, I'm a job snob, alright. Mom and I didn't spend all that money on my education in order for me to work crappy jobs. New Media hasn't come out with new job opportunities, though, so I'm kind of screwed. I've actually considered speaking to Richard about going back down to site sales on weekends... but I'm not at that point just yet. If only Revelations were paying me for all my storyboarding, but it's not.

Willi's been incredibly snuggly this week and I'm not sure why. She's never been big on the lap-sitting or even the companionable sitting-beside-you kind of thing, but for over a week now, she's been exactly that. She's settled into a routine (for now) that mostly lets me sleep through the night and mostly, she's there beside/on me, or under the covers. I certainly don't mind; it's cozy. I spend more time with her now that I have no computer, too, which may have something to do with it, though with her, who knows.

Well, that's about all I've got to say today. The Republicans have taken over, which leads me to believe that the democrats are just so disheartened they didn't see the point in voting. It's disheartening and just a little scarey.

The world is full of people who have never, since childhood, met an open doorway with an open mind.
-- E.B. White