Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Performs other duties as required. That's what it says at the bottom of my job description, and today, that's what I seem to be doing. Go me ! I've spent about half of my morning trying to help Stacey make a comment card template using QuarkXpress. I haven't used the programme in four years, and never was very savvy with it, but apparently, I am now the Quark Master, or some such. I hadn't really thought about how much I've learned through various graphics and desk-top publishing programmes over the years, but clearly enough so that I can sit down and say, "If you move this here, now click this icon (that will let you move the whole text box and its content together), and move this up a little - THERE. Now adjust the framing here..." and be of a great deal of help. Stacey has now professed her love for me at least four times and has hugged me and rubbed her head on my shoulder and purred like a cat. I guess that's a good sign. It's nice to be validated, even if it isn't coming from a manager.

Speaking of validation, as you may (or may not) know, I'm working on a Star Wars fan film. It was written by Ishyko and Lady Viola of Sith Academy fame, with the screenplay by Ishyko and to be directed by her husband. They've amassed a sizable CG department, officially ten people, I think, which is also the art department for the film. I've felt very out of my depths as far as the computer stuff has been concerned, seeing the work done by some of these people. For instance, check this guy out. He modeled my concept for the Jedi Temple (not viewable outside the group) and he made it far better than I was able to do in several hours of trying. I've forgotten so much of what I learned. Anyway, I have put my effort into costume designs, concept art, and storyboarding (three areas that are closely related and really what I want to do) and finally uploaded the stuff to the group last night. Anyway, I was more than pleased with the reactions I got. If it means that I work more heavily involved in the two-dimensional stuff, so be it. I will offer my computer skills where ever necessary, and I do want to be involved in some of the modeling and certainly the lighting, but if this is where I'll be the biggest help, then I'm very happy to be there.

Anyway, later this afternoon I'm meeting with Julian from the New Media department at the ROM to discuss the possibility of me working with him to promote the ICC's co-operative work with the museum, or something. The details are not yet clear, and I suppose that's part of what we'll be discussing. I am a little nervous as Julian is sort of a ROM celebrity, having done many shows with the Discovery channel and whatnot. He seems like a nice man, though, and hopefully this will be a good way into his department. We shall see.