Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Before I tell any more stories, here are two pictures taken by my friend, Brian (from Seneca), on Friday at the expo. Here's the first (with Nicole on the side). Here's the second, a close up of some of my stuff. Keen, Brian, thanks !

Now for the fun. Well, basically, it was all fun, except Friday night when it was hard to take the amazing lack of sales. That was not fun. But on Saturday, things picked up a lot. Sunday was smashing, though. Due in part (the sales, sure, but more importantly) to my friends and family coming to show their love and support. Eric came, Tracy and her mother, Nicki (my other mother), my mom and Ray came, and most surprising of all... Ryan came. I'm sure I'm missing at least one person, but honestly, the whole weekend is a bit of a blur. One of the keenest things to happen on Sunday took place while I was coming back from the Independent Artists section with my mother was when I spotted this strange man whom I thought I recognised.

"That guy," said I as I stopped and turned, "looks a lot like Ed Greenwood." So, with much encouragement by my mother to go and find out if it was indeed him, off I trotted. He covers a lot of ground - he's a lot taller than he looks.

Me: Excuse me, is your name, by any chance, Ed?
Him: Why yes it is.
Me: And also Greenwood?
Him: Yes. But don't tell anyone, I'm in disguise.

Anyway, he remembered me from way back in high school when I was still going out with Jon (who was a family friend of Ed) and we started to chat. I explained that I had a booth and he wanted to know what I was selling. When I said my art, he nearly bounced, or maybe he did bounce, and said, "Well, let's take a look !" He ended up hanging around my booth for about 20 minutes and even bought my pack of six cards. I threw in a print for free. Anyway, he's a delightful man, a six foot tall gnome, as I called him, which made him laugh merrily, and also a dirty bastard. He takes pride in all these things. Perhaps the dirty bastard most of all. I gave him a business card, too, and asked him to write me fan mail, which he agreed to do, and who knows, maybe he will. That would be keen.

As Ryan said, which I will reitterate here and make them my own sentiments, "I owe a lot to that man."