Thursday, June 13, 2002

Well, first, let me tell you about the union meeting that occured yesterday. The boss allowed me to go - I suppose he realised he couldn't really keep me from it. Anyway, I went with Stacey, Julie, Suzanne and Calvin down to the ROM theatre. We were all quite tense. Joane joined us down there and slowly (no ROM staff seem to move quickly) the theatre began to fill up - though certainly not to anything remotely resembling capacity, which is sad. They did a very good job of explaining what the Union is bargaining for and exactly what the full-timers would be voting on. They also emphasised that this was not a strike vote, exactly, but a strike mandate vote. This vote was to show solidarity with the bargaining unit, NOT about striking. Despite stressing this about three or four times, with great clarity and patience, I still know at least one person who opted not to vote (or vote no) because they don't believe in striking. I will NOT let it put a wedge in our friendship, though. People have different beliefs. Even if she IS wrong.

I played with Oboe last night, as usual, and also visited Jerzy who was in the hospital recovering from knee surgery. Julie was there too, but sound asleep on a cot beside him. Tania arrived and it was a merry old time, except Julie never quite woke up. *laugh* She missed my entire visit. It seems she was recovering from a wicked headache (sounded to me like a migraine when Tania described it) and was making up for the sleep she'd lost the night before. Jerzy is in good spirits, despite having his knee completely replaced with an amazing metal and plastic device that apparently has a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years or so. Anyway, he was quite pleased when I told him he was bionic. Back at my place, I cooked up an excellent dinner for Rick and I: asparagus with melted brie over it and a delicious beef stirfry with yellow peppers, mushrooms, and snow peas. While we ate, and following, we watched Legend, another fantasy film classic directed by Ridley Scott. My opinion of it has certainly improved. What I'd seen prior to last night I recalled as boring, though pretty. I've decided the movie is actually pretty damn good. Rick agreed. We had a good night.

Today I worked at Heretic and there's nothing much to say, it was slow. Following that, I went and visited Oboe. He needed all his things looked after, food, water, litter... and, today was Thursday, and Tempest was supposed to have watered the plants. She hadn't. So, I did. I was not pleased at how she's been looking after things... and I really wanted to feed the turtles. I have a bad feeling they're starving to death, but I couldn't find the turtle food. So, I left a note for her and a phone message. Silly fourteen year old girls. They think they're grown up, but they're really not. While I was there, I watched television and there was "Universal Soldier Two: Brothers in Arms" on the NewVR. I don't know if it was made for TV or what, but there were some excellent moments and the soundtrack was pretty damn good too. My favourite part (I didn't see all of it, and lots of it looked quite stupid) was when a little girl gets on a train and the conductor seats her across from this good looking fellow. He's all stoic-like, even robotic, which was my first guess. She says, "Hi, my name's Annie." He looks at her and offers this as an answer: "GR44." The little girl's eyebrows shoot up and she says, her face all lit up, "Cool !!! Are you a rapper?!"

Anyway, time to pack Willi into a box and take her home for a couple of days. Let me leave you something quite remarkable, though. Tanya left this in my email box, and it's bizarre and funny. Also, she has this crazy thing in her weblog, which I can now happily beat with this, this, and this ! Hah ! There are more, too. Crazy.