Sunday, June 30, 2002

I just got back from spending most of the day out at Rick's parents' place. It was a very nice day. The drive out was a little stifling since the blower on the air conditioner in Scarlette blew out last week. The air only works if she's moving faster than 50km (at the very least), so, when we hit the stop-and-go it was windows-down time. Very, very hot. The upside is that they have a pool out there, so the first thing we did was put on our suits and get in. It's amazing just how cold 84*F can feel, though, wow. I'm not so big a wimp at the cottage - I'll jump right into the half frigid lake without a second thought.

It was nice to just sort of hang out in the backyard with his parents, and Darlene made an amazing dinner that included devilled eggs (yum !) and lake trout caught by Rick's brother. Man, was it ever good. Even Anna, who has, more often than not, shown me the least pleasant side of her personality, was in good spirits. Heck, I even made her laugh. Shocking. It was very laid back and refreshing. We went to the other house that his parents have, a real, uh, handyman's specialty. They've put on a nice front to the place, but it's been completely gutted inside. I have never been in a house where only the basic frame remained. It's going to be lovely when they're done with it, sometime next year, or something. I think that this visit, more than any other, was the nicest visit I've ever had with his folks.

On the drive home, in Toronto, we got rear-ended at a red light. We pulled over, the offender pulled over, and we all (Rick and I, and the four guys in the other car) got out to see if there was damage. Nope, none ! So I said, "Hurray for old cars... no crumple zones !" And we all cheered. Then we went on our merry way. It's true, had either of our cars been a few years younger, one or both would have folded up at the impact. As it was, neither of us exhibited a scratch, despite it being a hard enough hit to lurch us forward almost into the car ahead of me even with my foot firmly pressed on the brake. It was exciting.

Yesterday at the store was excellent ! It was amazingly busy, with all these people in for Synth Pop Goes The World, a big electronica festival here in town, as well as all the Prideful out and about and being very gay. Tomorrow is, afterall, the Pride Parade. I will be there. Oh yes. Anyway, I had lots of things to say about work yesterday, but most of it has flown from my head. Probably for the best, it likely wasn't terribly interesting.

Man, I haven't updated this thing in a few days... things have happened. Well, not much, but some. I did see the Harry Potter stuff with Al and Carrie and it was MOST worthwhile. It was set up with some basic problem solving puzzles that unlock the deleted scenes. Carrie and I firmly agree that at least three of them should have been left intact as they added enormously to the story. It was worth it, especially for the scene in their first Potions class with Snape. That scene was halved, which was a big mistake. It sets Snape up as an even better character than he already is and is pretty much dead on for how it was in the book. Oh, Snape. So tasty.

Oh, and one final thing... I have a JOB INTERVIEW ! Yes, I actually got called for the ROM new media position. The interview, which I have to confirm on Wednesday (when the person comes back from holidays), will be on July 12. I am pretty excited. It's not an art job, or in games or film, but it is a creative job, and that counts for something. It really does look interesting (hence my application). Let's keep our fingers crossed.