Monday, February 18, 2002

Well, okay, I was wrong, or optimistic, or something. My boss, at the ROM isn't just under pressure from HR, he's also a jerk. "Goodmorming" was quickly followed by a lecture, or really, more of an interrogation, about whether or not I was doing something (or wasn't) particular in certain files. I said that I probably wasn't, in that I've been doing this since the system was developed, but he pressed it. I said that I might have let it slip, because no one is perfect, but he wanted me to say I'd fucked up a whole batch. I would not say that, because I didn't. The best is, he did this in the middle of the department for all to hear. Very nice.

It turns out a whole LOT of people are very angry with the way he's been handling things, and Sara (another part-timer doing what I do) remarked that it had broken up the unity of the department, putting people into cliques that are either with him, or silently fuming. He's undercut all the full-time people, ripping what independence they had out from under them, and he's just absolutely squashing the will of the part-timers. The worst is, when people have tried to speak with the branch director, it becomes very clear that she likes him. Why not? She's got him doing half of her job.

So, did I mention that the Canadian men's Hockey Team is sucking shorts? God.

In other news, Nick and I found a place ! It's hideous, the room he's taken, for example, having fire engine red walls, a white ceiling, and black trim around the nasty brown tiled floor. It's big, and cheap, and I can bring in my cat, and we can repaint, so it's all good. Or at the very least, it's better than a kick in the head. No, actually, it's very nice if you can withstand tiled floors. It's going to be exciting. We took it when we'd only seen one other place. That's how amazing it was. And the laundry is included and it isn't even coin-opperated !

The weekend was lovely, with Rick and I going to Hamilton for a Valentine dinner in support of the Cancer Society. It was a lot of fun. It was also very nice to see most of the entire family there, not fighting, instead, smiling and joking - a very suitable experience considering the generosity and the day. Rick danced, too, which was nice, even if I had to take my big-heeled boots off. *laugh* It was very nice, lots of fun. Rick is a good egg.