Wednesday, January 09, 2002

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a little humility. Sometimes it's important to tell the truth. Sometimes it's necessary to appologise.

I hate it when my friends fight. It makes me feel uncomfortable and that's not a feeling I like to associate with my friends. I occasionally feel that my social life is - well, not a soap opera. It's more like a bad teenage sitcom episode or romantic pulp story. Mostly, I just try to keep out of it. This time I couldn't, because I don't like it when people cry. When people cry, they are hurting. And friends hurting friends is to be frowned upon at all costs.

When Good Friend A tells me that Good Friend B did something bad to them, I feel caught. In conversation with Good Friends C and D, I make the decision that it's important for me to speak to B on behalf of A. I opted not to talk at length, and I kept it light. I don't know if B will appologise to A, maybe they feel that A is no longer part of their life, or at least not worth treating with respect. That certainly makes me question how much I want B to be in my life (which is a lot to question since I consider B to be one of my closest friends. Ever.). Anyway, A was mistreated, and should get an appology. Even if B cuts A right out afterward, A still deserves a little respect for the support and love given B in the past. The truth is, if B had just been honest with a couple of people instead of trying to keep things smooth and separated (like the stories about a guy taking two dates to the prom - one that he wants to shag, the other cause she's his friend) none of this would have had to happen. It's okay to do the wrong thing sometimes. It's okay to fight with people. It's not okay to take no responsibility for ones actions or words.

B was my friend first, and I love them dearly. A warmed up to me a little slower but I love them no less than B. It's like divorce on a smaller scale, or something. If B doesn't appologise, the world won't end. Maybe they should have stopped talking months ago. Maybe this is healthy. But for now, it's nasty and it's petty and it hurts more than just them. There's a whole group of us who have to watch the blood-letting. And it hurts us, too.

Anyway, on a happier note, today Mom was awarded with an Amethyst award, along with the rest of the MNR team that helped negotiate a fishing agreement with to native bands up on Georgian Bay. It was a bloody miracle when it was settled, after twelve long years and many road-blocks. It was wonderful to see her work (many tears, smiles and nerf bats later) recognised, especially with her so close to retirement. It's as though after all this time, she's being told that all her effort and time really HAS been worth it. What is sad is the number of people that were part of the negotiations over the twelve years who are no longer part of the government; they get no recognition. I had to take many photos of the whole thing, of course, and so I did with two cameras around my neck. Mom looked so happy. So pleased. And I am pleased as well... GO MOM !

I got followed around my her colleague's son, Max. Max loves me. I pushed all his seven-year-old love buttons I guess, what with my knowledge of dinosaurs and knights and our mutual love of sea food. He's a cute kid. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to love kids, but this one is pretty neat. I'm quite happy to spend an hour or two with a kid, so long as I can give them back when I'm done. He gave me a picture he drew. It's apparently no one special, but it's a pair of guys, one with what looks like a noose around his neck (I hope not, but kids do draw some weird shit) and the other I can only presume is a superheor in his fancy green pants and purple cape. His father said, "He gave you the picuture? He didn't try to sell it to you? He must love you !" Cool.