Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Okay, one more update. Clearly, rendering makes for boredom as witnessed here. I just spoke to Larry about TA'ing, and he said he'd hopefully be able to let me know as of tomorrow, possibly as of Thursday or Friday. Either way, he said I'm welcome to come back here to keep working, whether I become a TA or not. So, this is a damn good thing. He said that the school loses about 100 thousand dollars a year in possible tuition just by leaving the computers free at the back of the room for the graduates. He knows damn well that it's not a real loss of money, but an investment. Those grads come back and keep working, and eventually get hired and that's good for Seneca. Anyway, the new semester begins as of the 21st, so this might seriously upset my plans for going home. We'll have to see.

One of the new instructors is hanging out in the lab, poking around in the computer, with his young wife and their kid (maybe three years old, or something) and I swear, I have never seen such a sullen face on a woman before. His wife seems so unimpressed, bored, unhappy, that it worries me. I mean, they just watched a Pixar short and she didn't even crack a smile. Actually, she looks like a grown-up private school girl who is disappointed that she didn't settle down with the dentist she was raised to wed. Is that a horrible thing to say? Anyway, it's merely an observation, subjective as it may be.