Sunday, November 25, 2001

They did it, those bastards. They did it and they're proud. It was reported today that a privately funded medical science research company cloned a human fetus. Yes. That's right. A human fetus. Cloned. I heard this while driving down my street looking for parking and my stomach turned. I had to keep from throwing up between my knees. You see, in the U.S.A., it's illegal in for a publically funded medical agency to carry out any testing of such a nature (nature is the wrong word here, I think), which is why a private company was able to do it and get away with it.

Normally, I get a little excited about amazing medical feats, but I find nothing exciting about cloning. I think of eugenics programmes and have flashbacks to Huxley's distopian novel "Brave New World". It bugs the shit out of me. If we were suposed to be God, we wouldn't be human. I have a friend who would argue that perhaps humanity is its own god, and that's well and good, and proabably debatable, but nonetheless, I do not think humans have the right to dictate how evolution works. Evolution has been perfecting itself here on Earth for billions of years. The first protozoa evolved. Eventually something breathed in air for the first time. A plant learned it didn't have to be eaten and instead could eat its predators. Humans stood upright. Evolution is cool, and it knows what it's doing.

STOP FUCKING WITH IT.

I think there was other stuff I'd planned to write about today, but for some reason, that is all that I can think of. It totally bothers me. I can't help but envision the metaphorical door - or perhaps, Pandora's box - opening. Only, instead of all sorts of horrible things coming through, I see us entering into a room we weren't supposed to be in.

Not Pandora's Box... no.

Something much more disturbing.

Bluebeard's Castle.