Tuesday, November 13, 2001

I did it again. I forgot to write stuff. Is this the dreaded loss of interest I so feared at the beginning? Nah, probably not. I think I'm just busy.

My internal schedule is a little out of whack, too, because I came into school yesterday for a guest lecture. Barry Fowler from PDI (the people that gave us 'Shrek' and before that, 'Antz') gave a talk about all the processes involved in creating 'Shrek' and such. It was very interesting and totally engrosing. But now that I'm actully in class, I'm feeling confused. Add to this the fact that the school network keeps going down today and you have one slightly off-kilter day. I hope it gets fixed or all this writing so early in the morning will be in vain.

I saw 'Shrek' last night, too, and while I found it pretty good, humourous, well animated, bouncy and fun, somehow, after all the hype I'd heard, it just didn't quite live up to what I'd expected. Maybe it's because I saw 'Monsters Inc.' but I don't really think so. I find that 'A Bug's Life' stands up, as does 'Toy Story', but I was just a little disappointed by 'Shrek'. One thing that made me nearly pee myself, though, was the karaoke at the end of the credits. I think it's a DVD bonus thing, and damn, it was hysterical.

Let me back up a little in time, now, to go on about the Journey to Middle Earth exhibit. First of all, before we got there, Rick and I witnessed a testosterone adventure. Some suped up stupid penis-wielding-boy car ran a red light in order to turn right and nearly mowed down a trio of pedestrians. One of the walkers spanked the car and of course penis-wielder had to stop the car and be a jerk. Unfortunately, wimpy white-boy pedestrian got a hard-on to teach penis-wielder a lesson, which was just dumb because he got a beat-down. I'm afraid Rick and I didn't bother being heroes. Had the penis-wielder reacted harder than he did, maybe, but the wimpy pedestrian was incredibly stupid to take on a macho teenaged prick. We were a third of the way up the stairs to Casa Loma when the punch flew, which means we couldn't get the license plate number, but honestly, it was a lesson learned for the pedestrian.

Do I sound harsh and unfeeling now? I guess I have no sympathy for idiots.

Anyway, the exhibit was wonderful. The lines were astounding, one having a wait of 45 minutes, but I enjoyed the show very much. I snapped a few photos, too, that I wasn't allowed to take. Hee hee. It's amazing that every piece of furniture, every weapon, every tool used in the films was created by hand. The programme we got said that there were something like 16,000 pieces created. I'm not positive whether that includes the hundreds of weapons and suits of armour. The elfin costumes are extraordinary and the orc armour and clothing is deliciously unpleasant. You can almost smell the sweat and mold.

One of the perks was the poster that I got for purchasing my tickets on-line. It's the stunning movie poster with the two colossal statues facing out over the water. It's one of the finest pieces of illustration I've seen as publicity poster in a very long time. There's not question, I'm getting it framed. It's utterly beautiful. If I could paint like the artist that created it, I would die a happy woman.