Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tracy arrived on the Air Canada Jazz flight from Vancouver last night. I picked her up and gave her a brief tour of the area (since it's still light out at midnight). I have rented a bright red Subaru Impreza for the week and I love it. I've had to reaquaint myself with driving stick, but despite some mildly embarrassing stalls, all has gone well. I'd almost forgotten how much I love driving stick. I cannot understand why anyone would ever want to drive automatic. You have so much control with a stick shift, you feel so much more a part of the driving experience. Of course, I love driving and cars, so maybe therein lies the difference. I love this little car, but I know that even were it on sale at the end of the season, the chance that I'd be able to afford it is still very unlikely. When I return from my visit home in August, I'm going to set up a test drive for a Kia Rio5.

To celebrate having a car, Gareth and I drove out to Marsh Lake. The lake is high now, or 'in' as Gareth said, because the mountain snowpack has been melting. There are dams, too, which may affect the height of the water, I'm not sure. There was only one family at the beach, though, frolicking in the effing cold water. I waded out to my knees, but turned around at that point because it really is the coldest lake I've ever walked in. We also drove in and around Whitehorse, to a lookout over the Yukon River, and up and down roads. Charming way to spend a couple of hours.

Choco and Twee were very excited to have Tracy spending the night on the futon. When we opened it out into a bed, they helped make it (in that special hindering sort of way) and then Choco helped UNmake it by jumping in and out of the covers. I think they slept with her last night, too, which is very sweet and gave Gaz and I a break from their rambunctiousness. Until breakfast time, anyway. There's a brand new hole in my toe thanks to the little beast.