Thursday, March 02, 2006

Well, I've been here for a week now and despite the bitter, bitter cold (unseasonably so, I've been told), it's not too bad. I mean, really, it's not any colder than Winnipeg was this passed November. In fact, because of the prairie wind, Winnipeg was colder. I am living for a while, rent-free, in the apartment usually used by the interns who come to the Yukon Arts Centre. It's pretty nice, two bedrooms, a fully appointed loo (though with something of a mildew problem), a pretty decent kitchen with a breakfast/dining space, and a living room. There is a parking spot with a plug (for plugging in the block heater to keep the engine warm), which wouldn't matter except that I'm using the gallery station wagon, too. Free car, free apartment? Ya, I'm alright with that. The car is particularly handy as Whitehorse is laid out really oddly, and I live in Riverdale (there's one in every city, isn't there?) and it's quite a long way from the gallery.

The Gallery is really beautiful and in a stunning location. Of course, it would be better for its attendance if it were downtown with everything else, but what can you do? Someone felt it would be good to link the gallery to the theatre and so there it is. But it's a stunning location, sort of perched on a hill overlooking the downtown, with mountains overlooking the Arts Centre in all directions. There are trees and paths through them, the Archives and College are next door, and half way down the hill, there is a minimum security prison. Seriously. Nice spot to be incarcerated. When the sun is setting, the surrounding mountains, which are currently spotted with evergreens and peaked entirely in white snow, turn salmon pink. I shall endeavour to get this caught on camera.

I've been very busy at work, settling in and trying to figure out exactly what I'm meant to be doing. Today was easy, as I spent most of the day working with the Community Programmer to hang a new show of children's art. There are something like seventy pieces on display and we didn't manage to finish mounting it. We shall accomplish this task tomorrow. My lunch break was spent downtown looking at a "miniature" house that will be available to rent come April. It is nice because, though tiny, it has a sheltered yet sunny garden, it's bright during the day, utilities are included, and it's close to lots of neat things. Additionally, the landlord is perfectly happy to allow me to have a cat. On the downside, it is ridiculously small. Were I on my own with no chance of people staying with me, I would probably take it. The thing is, if I am to have guests, things would become much more awkward. It is only two rooms. As well, I'm not sure there is room enough for all my books. So, as adorable as this place is, it just doesn't meet my needs.

Well, I am welcome to stay in this apartment in Riverdale until May, so I'm not concerned. I will begin looking for a place later this month. Ideally, to move into a place for May 1st or 15th would be perfect. I could pack up my stuff before I leave for the United Kingdom and then when I return, make the move and start fresh. Once I have a place, I will get a kitty. I need the company. Additionally, I shall start looking at getting a vehicle later this month. There are a few dealerships up here, including Nissan, Kia, and Subaru, and if you prefer American models, there is a Ford and probably a Chevy dealer, too. As for other stores, there are enough stores to meet my needs. There are the Loblaws-type stores, selling the President's Choice line, there is a Canadian Tire, The Brick, Mark's Work Wearhouse, Ricki's, Reitmans, and a few other shops. There's even a gaming store downtown, which I have been told is far more traditional than the nasty Gaming/Internet cafe by my apartment. I will check it out soon.

I shall wrap up this entry here and talk more of my conceptions soon. No, really, I promise. I have no cable television - I won't have anything better to do. ;)